What Kind of Knife Do You Use To Make The Kill Cut?

I use Victorinox Fibrox (Forschner) knives. I like the large Fibrox handles. I use a longer curves one (about 5 inches) on the kill cut and a shorter one (4 inches) to do the other processing cuts. I use a pair of kitchen shears to cut off the head or other cuts where bones are involved. I advise using a cut resistant glove on the opposite hand for safety. I use needle nose pliers to pull out pin feathers when needed. I keep a sharpening steel on hand to touch up the knives between birds. These knives are available at a reasonable price and can soak in water before clean up with no ill effects. They are also dishwasher safe. Just Google "Forschner Fibrox" and you'll get lots of results.

Any kind of knife will do, as long as it is razor-sharp and kept that way. As others noted, cuting through feathers dulls them, and hitting the neck bones can dull them rapidly.

This description is exactly what I do, except I always cut the left side of the neck first- because (I think) that's where the carotid artery is. Not a big difference either way.

Quote:

Quote:
You know, I always put the birds in the cones with their chests facing me, so their right is my right. But you've given me an idea, I'll put the next ones in with their backs to me, so their left sides are on my right. This will also keep their clawed feet farther away from my face when I'm so close to the cone making the cut. I once had one scratch awfully close to my eye while it was in its death throes.

I use a scalpel - ordered from havels medical supply. My kill cut is about an inch long, just under the jaw, and quickly done. I scruff the loose skin back so the blade can cut cleanly and quickly - usually there is no movement by the chicken until they are in the death twitches.

It should be a personal preference - if you are handy with a ax or loppers, use them, if you prefer knives, use them. I suck at handling hatchets, and from trimming trees this weekend with DH, I REALLY suck at using loppers. Given a small knife, I can slice and dice like no other.

I know there is discussion about what method is best, but a clean knife cut is far better than a bad lopper or hatchet cut, and a clean hatchet or lopper head removal is superior to a botched knife cut.

If you want, practice both with a section of cheap garden hose over a stick that's about finger thick. A good knife slice should cut through the hose cleanly, and a good hatchet or lopper cut should cut it cleanly apart. Practice to find the one you prefer, that you're best at.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll be processing a few extra cockerels in a couple of weeks if I don't get rid of them on Craigslist, and have been waffling back and forth between using loppers and cutting the jugulars. I'll definitely be giving this idea a try to see which feels more comfortable.

Last time I killed I used a large heavy hunting knife, like a Bowie Knife. Tied the chickens feet to the dog run, stretched their head down with a heavy gloved hand. holding the head between my 2 middle fingers. I then ran the knife guickly across the back of my hand and tossed the head in a bucket.

Back
Top Bottom