What commercial feed do you use for your laying hens?

Obiwan Henobi

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2023
We have been feeding our hens Kalmbalch All Natural feed (17% protein). Is this a good feed? I am just curious what others are feeding their birds. Ours seem to be doing well on the Kalmbalch, although I suspect they are feather picking which some have suggested may be the result of a protein deficiency. These are laying hens, a little over a year old now. Egg production is good and they are otherwise healthy and active. Curious what others are using and your opinions about appropriate levels of protein in feed.

17% protein is a bit low. I feed Purina Flock Raiser, which is 20% protein (and no added calcium), with calcium on the side (eggshell). I don't use layer feed because I don't like that it has calcium added to it. Chickens' calcium needs vary throughout the year and their lives, and some chickens don't need additional calcium at all (young chicks, males, retired older hens, etc.) They are very good at regulating themselves if you let them choose how much to eat.

I feed Nutrena Naturewise All Flock. I used to feed their Feather Fixer or Purina Layena with Omega. I had no issues with any of them but I prefer the higher protein in the All Flock. I give oyster shell on the side for the calcium needs. I have only laying hens

We have been feeding our hens Kalmbalch All Natural feed (17% protein). Is this a good feed? I am just curious what others are feeding their birds. Ours seem to be doing well on the Kalmbalch, although I suspect they are feather picking which some have suggested may be the result of a protein deficiency. These are laying hens, a little over a year old now. Egg production is good and they are otherwise healthy and active. Curious what others are using and your opinions about appropriate levels of protein in feed.
I like Purina Flock Raiser crumbles. Well, the birds like it. They seem to like the Flock Raiser better than layer feed I tried in the past. The pullets also prefer the Flock Raiser to chick crumbles. The hens are 9 months and the pullets 8 weeks. Recently I got all excited when I read about Calf-Manna so I bought a small bag, but none of them like it much; they eat it, but only when it's the last thing left to try. They'd rather forage for bugs. In the mornings both groups get a serving of scrambled eggs. I put out the equivalent of about a tablespoon per bird for each group. Their afternoon treat is a Lixit ball with mealworms.

Here in Alabama I have access to the AL Farmers Co Op 18% Layer Crumbles or small Pellets. I use the pellets along with free choice oyster shell and grit. My hens are very good layers and doing well. I care for around 80 just laying hens.

Our local store started carrying Kalmbach feeds a couple months ago. I’ve been buying the 20% Flock Maker, (I used to feed Purina 20% Flock Raiser.). I am really impressed, and my chickens love it. It smells so good too! The crumbles are never too fine as the Purina’s often were. With the most recent bag I mistakenly got pellets instead of crumbles and they love it just as much.
(I put out oyster shell on the side)
In my opinion, Kalmbach is superior to Purina.
4954680D-5435-4089-B754-48973188C404.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom