What Fertilizers are safe

cherylcohen

The Omelet Ranch
10 Years
Sep 18, 2009
SF East Bay CA
We are in the process of completely re-landscaping our backyard. The girls get to free range a few hours each day so my concern is about using fertilizer. Of course I can use organic and will read all the box info, but is there information out there on the subject? I did a BYC search and only using poop came up
smile.png

I would definitely use organic fertilizer on your lawn. I am a landscaper and I use Corn Gluten Meal on my lawn--it is great, helps control weeds, slow release. Even then, I would wash it in before your chickens get out on it. With your plants, you will want to mix the fertilizer in with the backfill around each plant. I have had a problem with dogs getting into "animal based" fertilizers that contain things like blood meal, bone meal, fish meal, etc... so I would be concerned about chickens trying to eat those also. So in yards where that might happen, I use a slow-release fertilizer (like osmocote) that is mixed into the soil. You can also use liquids at planting time, or spray on the plant for a "pick me up". Do a "test" with any fertilizer if you are still concerned--see how they react to it.

Thanks so much, even organics I think may have something that may not be good for them?? I don't know I'll read the labels, but probably my best bet is working it deep into soil 3 or so inches so they can't reach it

I stopped using any fertilizer or weed control on my lawn a few months before I got my chickens.

The upside - healthy chickens. The downside - not a very uniform or attractive lawn.

I have strong opinions on lawns (I'll save 'em for another thread).
smile.png
Sow the seeds of victory - plant a garden today!

Good luck figuring it out.

most of our property is gardens, roses and other specimens. Just a teeny tiny lawn but the girls are loving being the chicken mowers so far!!

If your lawn is teeny, tiny, the chickens might put out enough poo to fertilize your lawn so you don't have to! Or, they might eat it down so fast that your lawn disappears! Hope it's the former...Yes, work any fertilizers around your plants into the soil. If you topdress with a good compost (like one you could make from your chicken litter), you may not need to fertilize your plants at all. Be sure and NEVER use any kind of systemic insecticide or fungicide (very common for use on roses--e.g. Orthene, Orthenex, anything by Bayer) and NEVER use Weed and Feed or Preen--nasty, nasty stuff.

Back
Top Bottom