URGENT: Coccidiosis?

The Chick Addict

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Jun 23, 2022
Texoma
Hello! This morning I went to go let my chickens out and I found poop with actual blood in it, not intestine lining. I'm figuring it came from several of them. Could it be Coccidiosis? I don't know how they could have gotten it; we did recently re-organize the coop, put in new nest boxes, high roosts, etc. Did the stress make them contract it? Also how do I treat it? I put the roosts much higher and it seems to be working... they are starting to use the nesting boxes. I had to renovate the coop because it was a complete mess. None of them are acting lethargic or anything so I want to know how to treat it before it becomes more serious. 😓💚

Do you have pictures of the bloody droppings? How old are the chickens? Corid is very safe, and if there is any doubt, I would start treatment. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, and 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

Do you have pictures of the bloody droppings? How old are the chickens? Corid is very safe, and if there is any doubt, I would start treatment. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, and 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days.
Thank you for your response @Eggcessive ! They are a year and a half. I can't get pictures right now but I may be able to tomorrow. I am still wondering, is it the stress from the renovation? One of the hens had a very small cut that I sprayed with Wound-Kote, do you think it was jumping from high roosts? Thank you again! 💚

Last edited:
Here is a picture of some poop with what looks like lining of the intestine. I got rid of the poop that was actually really bloody before I could get a pic, but this is from this morning: (sorry about the bad pic)
Bloody Poop-Bella.jpg

@Eggcessive, I am buying Corid from Tractor Supply Co. It is only 16 oz. and it says its an "oral calf solution." Is this the liquid or powder kind? They are also selling one for cheaper which is Corid pellets for 10 lbs. Which is which, powder or liquid? Should I get one or both? Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Corid is a cattle medicine, that is also used for chickens. You want the 9.6% liquid seen here below, or the 20% powder. The pellets which I wasn’t aware of are 1.25% and for calves.
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...I8uSsGnwKUJEk3VXOZ3QfbdsAg5yC9eBoCrFcQAvD_BwE

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...ZSMziJaBZ7sFhtPNQmZmI-oK4ICC03BBoCGB0QAvD_BwE
Thank you so much @Eggcessive! Will the 16 oz. liquid and 10 oz. powder be enough for 5-7 days? I have 3, 1 gal. waterers.

Thank you so much @Eggcessive! Will the 16 oz. liquid and 10 oz. powder be enough for 5-7 days? I have 3, 1 gal. waterers.
@Eggcessive, I am ordering the medicine from the website you sent. I am not sure how long it will take to get here. What can I do for them in the meantime. I also read on another website that I have to give the coop a deep-cleaning. :he Is that true?

Back
Top Bottom