UPDATED #2: Sick chick..posted earlier no response PLEASE HELP ME

Quote:
They raise chicks every year and have for over 20 years...even the teens in the class raise chickens; for show and food...
he said chicks do have worms when they are born..

what can we do then? Why all of the sudden have two of them just (the one that passed already) and this one just got sick and wont eat/drink...I just dont understand..
this one was running w/the others and then BAM overnight...he's sick..

Quote:
They raise chicks every year and have for over 20 years...even the teens in the class raise chickens; for show and food...

Well, I don't agree with that. There are people who have raised chickens for longer than 20 years and they still spout old wives tales, so they could still be mistaken. Worms would definitely not be anything for which I'd treat a newborn chick. Even if it's in the realm of remote possibility, I've never heard of it and can't imagine it unless the parent stock is positively dying from worm infestation.
hmm.png
Otherwise, they have to pick them up off the ground from eating something with worm eggs in it or on it. I didn't even worm my adults till they were over two years old and can't imagine having to worm a newly hatched chick.

Some chicks just don't have the will to live and there is nothing you can do to make them have it. If they won't eat or drink, you can't do it for them beyond a couple of days, then they must take over.

Pedialyte- I dont think that that would be a good choice because the salt content (it is an electrolyte) and it can actually make them sick when used in excess or kill them.... and in the case of small chicks, I could not imagine them needing much if any. In less you know how much to use exactly directed by someone who knows like a vet. The electrolyte(salt) causes the cell to draw more water in... but when there is too much water in the cell, it will release all of it's contents to keep from exploding.... so not only is there a quick dehydration, but there is a major mineral loss. I would take away the pedialyte from the healthy chicks. There is a reason why it has a warning on the side of the bottle. I dont think you did anything yet that could hurt them.... you're bring a great chick mommy and deserve a golden egg! But you really need to nix the pedialyte right away. God Bless!

Quote:

Well, I don't agree with that. There are people who have raised chickens for longer than 20 years and they still spout old wives tales, so they could still be mistaken. Worms would definitely not be anything I'd treat a newborn chick. Even if it's in the realm of remote possibility, I've never heard of it and can't imagine it unless the parent stock is positively dying from worm infestation.
hmm.png
Otherwise, they have to pick them up off the ground from eating something with worm eggs in it or on it. I didn't even worm my adults till they were over two years old and can't imagine having to worm a newly hatched chick.

Some chicks just don't have the will to live and there is nothing you can do to make them have it. If they won't eat or drink, you can't do it for them beyond a couple of days, then they must take over.

Agree! NO way a new chick needs wormer... Gah! Poor little thing..

ETA: Just saw your update... sorry you lost him...
sad.png
hugs.gif

Last edited:
One more little thing- sorry, LOL

The wormer drops are not intended for chicks... it is a harsh drug and can be taxing on their organs. A better alternative for worming is to buy some food grade diatomatious earth (DE) at the feed store and bake it into a small cupcake. DE is a diatom... think sea based prehistoric micro organism with sea shells like rough exoskeleton that when in powder form is super abrasive. When ingested by people and animals, the rough diatoms will kill any intestinal parasites without any harm to the host.

Again, bake a cup cake with a tablespoon of DE and feed it to them.

They will love you! :)

I agree with a lot of the others on this thread. Chicks do not need a de-wormer. Most worms come from free-ranging and eating worms + grasshoppers. Your chicks will not have had that opportunity; and if they are from a hatchery, their parents likely didn't either. They likelihood of gape worms and other types is highly UNLIKELY. There are A LOT of uneducated people raising chickens.

There are a number of reasons that your chicks might not be thriving-- though it sounds like your heat is adequate. I would recommend using a medicated chick feed. While I tend heavily towards organics, the amprolium in medicated feed will address coccidiosis which is the most likely cause of chicks perishing. For electrolytes, a 1/2 tsp. of blackstrap molasses in the chick waterer is far superior to sugar and store bought electrolytes. It is filled with vitamins, and makes absorption of nutrients more efficient in the body. Also, I have had success with dipping the beaks of weak chicks in a tiny bit of yoghurt.

Like so many have expressed, death is a part of the life process and sometimes there are just some weak chicks. I have raised THOUSANDS of chickens and losing one now and then is unfortunate, definitely sad, but to be expected.

Quote:
Shes right, do not worm.

Sometimes, they just don't thrive and die. There probably isn't anything you can do. If the rest of the chicks are doing ok, I would say there is probably nothing else you can do.

Nature isn't always kind.

Sue

Back
Top Bottom