UPDATED #2: Sick chick..posted earlier no response PLEASE HELP ME

I've had the very same problem with a couple of chicks...they seem fine and then they don't...laying around not eating or drinking... I have tried everything...grow gel, vitamin water with a dripper, hear pad...I have even put a thermometer in there to make sure temp is good...but I just can't get them to come back...

I got my chicks on Tuesday and I have lost 2 (with gullets partially full) and have 2 in the funk right now...no idea how to help them.

Sorry not much help but at least u know ur not alone...hope that helps at least (it did me when i read ur post...whew...it's not just me lol)

Quote:
Thanks; but I'm sorry ou are dealing with it too!

I just gave him/her some polysivol or whatever vitamins & pedialiyte..so we'll se what happens in a bit..I do have her/him in a box inside the brooder so the other chicks
can't trample on him/her anymore...I do have a small thing of pedialyte and some food in there JUST IN CASE she/he wants to eat overnight while we are sleeping..
and I did see it poo just a bit a few min. ago..so I have hope!

so sorry about this and about your little one being so upset.. sometimes no matter what you do it just isn't enough.. I will never buy chicks from a hatchery.. sorry I have heard to many sad stories.

Even if you hatch them yourself, on occasion, you'll have one that just won't eat or drink. If its urge to live is so weak, it's probably best that it pass on to the Great Roost in the Sky. I'm sorry about the little one. In shipped hatchery chicks, that seems to happen more often.

Have you raised chicks before? Describe your set up- what are they in, what are they on, what is keeping them warm, how warm is it at the hot end and cool end, what are you offering to eat/drink. How much handling are they getting? What kind are they? Shipping definitely can tough on them & they can need some intensive care when they first arrive. Sometimes some don't survive, but in case your brooder needs some fine tuning- please describe. Also when there are kids around, it is good to know how much handling the chicks are getting (if they are being held).

Back
Top Bottom