Update on GROUNDS Coffee Ground Bedding for your coop!

the pucks you should just be able to break apart with your hand. They are very finely ground coffee that had steam blown through them essentially, which makes them stick together a bit but otherwise pure coffee (VERY rare you will find me calling sbucks coffee so enjoy !! )

Aaron
I've started using ONLY espresso pucks on our poop trays (bc I have a lot of espresso drinkers in my house and a young adult son who sprung for a nice espresso machine!). I think it smells much better than normal used grounds and the consistency is great. I've read articles, used coffee still has quite a bt of caffeine, but they don't eat it.

They may not intentionally eat it but it gets into them anyways because it sticks to food, and they do root through things and if they see a stone they want to eat, and it has grounds on it, etc. When they squish a beetle, it's goober guts cling onto coffee grounds and all that goes into the B to E machine so there you have it. I'll take an Espresso over easy please :D

Aaron

They may not intentionally eat it but it gets into them anyways because it sticks to food, and they do root through things and if they see a stone they want to eat, and it has grounds on it, etc. When they squish a beetle, it's goober guts cling onto coffee grounds and all that goes into the B to E machine so there you have it. I'll take an Espresso over easy please :D

Aaron
oh well in my case they can't get to it. their poop trays are blocked by chicken wire, and that's the only place I put it. Poop falls thru the wire (for the most part) and drops in the grounds. Nonetheless, I personally don't worry about very small amounts of things my chickens eat. They probably ingest all kinds of things I don't know about in reality...

My chickens are small. Can this be a reason they don’t mind the heat so much and just look a cooler spot as usual? No panting. Just a sand bath in the shade and drinking more as usual.

This was in our news today about airco:
According to the latest figures from the Ministry of the Environment, about 13 percent of French households had air conditioning in 2016. By way of comparison: in Spain, according to market research, that percentage is around 30 and in some cities even 70 percent. In the US and Japan, about 90 percent of households have an air conditioner.

Links:
French meest recente cijfers
English :marktonderzoek

My chickens are small. Can this be a reason they don’t mind the heat so much and just look a cooler spot as usual? No panting. Just a sand bath in the shade and drinking more as usual.

This was in our news today about airco:
According to the latest figures from the Ministry of the Environment, about 13 percent of French households had air conditioning in 2016. By way of comparison: in Spain, according to market research, that percentage is around 30 and in some cities even 70 percent. In the US and Japan, about 90 percent of households have an air conditioner.

Links:
French meest recente cijfers
English :marktonderzoek
I don’t know if I believe the stat about 90% of households having A/C in the U.S. In Ny it is definitely not that high, and when I lived down south there were plenty of people who couldn’t afford A/C and had a ton of fans going all day long to curb the summer swelter.

Toward the end of February this year I picked up 3 bags of grounds coffee ground bedding from Tractor Supply and immediately fell in love. With three bags I had a roughly 4" layer in my 4x6' chicken coop. My coop smelled wonderful and the grounds were so light weight and compostable. The very best part though is the scoopability of the coffee grounds. Fast forward to today, roughly five months later, and the litter is largely poop-free as I am able to scoop it daily. It hasn't broken down into dust as wood chips do after a couple of months. It doesn't smell, isn't moldy (but I don't leave water in the coop either). The downside is this bedding as disappeared off the shelves of TSC. You can view product info at poweredbycoffee.com but sadly, they now only ship locally within 25 miles of Indianapolis. I contacted the company directly and received a response. They said they are hoping to be back in TSC by the fall, but that's not soon enough! I have been saving my own coffee and drying it to replenish what is lost, but within the last month I've finally decided I really need more. I hate the thought of switching back to pine, and I don't want to use sand at all. It is too heavy and too difficult to find dust-free sand. It also isn't compostable.

What to do? I called the Starbucks located next to my work office and they said they'll give me a huge box for free. I am picking it up today at lunch and plan on spreading the grounds on a tarp in the sun to facilitate drying. I am only nervous that they use a fine grind, but we shall see. I'll update if it works. If this is successful, this will mean a free source of bedding that is recycled, compostable, smells fantastic, scoopable, longer lasting. I really can't see any downsides!
I heard that the Coffee Bedding has the caffeine out of it. Apparently, caffeine is bad for chickens, so be careful.

I heard that the Coffee Bedding has the caffeine out of it. Apparently, caffeine is bad for chickens, so be careful.
You’re new to the thread, but there are numerous comments like yours throughout this thread. I’ve shared multiple research studies where spent coffee was used in chicken feed research studies and no negative nor positive outcome was noted from consuming coffee grounds, as in it does not help nor harm them.

You’re new to the thread, but there are numerous comments like yours throughout this thread. I’ve shared multiple research studies where spent coffee was used in chicken feed research studies and no negative nor positive outcome was noted from consuming coffee grounds, as in it does not help nor harm them.
Thank you, if I can use coffee that I have perked, I will definitely save and dry it out as our family uses a lot. I was afraid to try it after I saw the caffeine comment on a FB page.

Back
Top Bottom