Do you use coffee grounds as bedding? I'd love to hear your experience with it!

Thank you. So it's basically the leftover "chunks" in the fire pit, it seems like (although yours is much prettier than mine, haha!). Do you grind it up into smaller pieces?
The chunks in the picture are purpose-made in the hotel pan in the fire pit, but the left over black bits in the fire pit are the same thing.

I do crush the biochar somewhat to increase surface area and make it mix in with the shavings better. My low-tech solution? I put it in an old 5-gallon bucket and grind it with a scrap of 2x4.

Totally not related but….My dyslexia and your username! 🤣
Strangely related... I'm sitting at this moment in a virtual training for a program designed to teach students with dyslexia... (I'm a middle school teacher)

Fortunately, as an adult with ADHD I need to multitask in order to stay focused on the class, and so here I am!

I use coffee ground bedding on my poop board and LOVE it. It's available year round at Rural King, but it sells out quick so I buy it in bulk. The chickens don't mess with/eat it at all, it dries the poops out nicely and the coffee smell is a big bonus (for me). I can scoop it like kitty litter, and only have to change it out completely about every 8 weeks (I have 8 chickens).

Screenshot_20230123_092525_Chrome.jpg

I use coffee ground bedding on my poop board and LOVE it. It's available year round at Rural King, but it sells out quick so I buy it in bulk. The chickens don't mess with/eat it at all, it dries the poops out nicely and the coffee smell is a big bonus (for me). I can scoop it like kitty litter, and only have to change it out completely about every 8 weeks (I have 8 chickens).

View attachment 3383628
When you say you buy in bulk, how many bags do you purchase at one time?

If you are composting the waste litter then coffee grounds wouldn’t balance the carbon to nitrogen levels as well as wood shavings and could cause it to heat up or ignite if stored in an enclosed space. Must smell great though.

When you say you buy in bulk, how many bags do you purchase at one time?

I try to get as many bags as I can. Last time, I bought 10 because they had just gotten a shipment in that day (so I got lucky). The Rural King in my area usually sells out within a day or two of getting it in stock. 10 bags will last me a really long time.

Back
Top Bottom