Update on GROUNDS Coffee Ground Bedding for your coop!

Coffee grounds are great mulch for blueberries and other acid loving plants. Starbucks gives them away to gardeners. But they are used and damp and don't smell like coffee. :sick
of course they're used :) that's why they are being tossed. if you want to use in chicken litter you'd have to dry them out totally, either in the oven or on big screens on a warm dry day

I use 1/4 cup of grounds a day but I added more birds to my coop so they kick more out, and my boyfriend left for an extended vacation so I've been losing more and adding less and it's too low now. I thought five months was pretty good considering previously I was adding new bedding every week for deep compost, and changing every two months when I switched to using a droppings board.

I'm going to starbucks in the next 45 minutes so I'll get to see what kind of grounds I'm getting! Worst comes to worse, it'll make great compost.
Following

I know this is an oldish thread but two years later an update would be most helpful. I just found the “grounds” at TS and picked up a couple bags. The coop is clean and in doing another last minute google to see if this is a good idea to use, more importantly, sage for the flock.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    736.6 KB · Views: 6
I know this is an oldish thread but two years later an update would be most helpful. I just found the “grounds” at TS and picked up a couple bags. The coop is clean and in doing another last minute google to see if this is a good idea to use, more importantly, sage for the flock.
CAUTION - I'm cooking right now, so no time to do it for you, but do a search on TSC and coffee grounds. I'd swear a poster in the last couple weeks, maybe two, claimed they lost birds after using that product. Likely a QC issue, because nit was a post or two in rapid succession after no mention in what seems like months, maybe years.

but please SEARCH before you put that down in the coop.

....and read the whole thread, it was baby chicks.
Yes, I'm not saying its definitely the cause, I'm saying read and decide for yourself - I recall running across the thread, but since I deep litter and have no coffee shop within 30 miles, I didn't pay much attention to the thread. SO I don't actually have an opinion of my own on the product, presently.

My brain, its odd?

Back
Top Bottom