Stray Chicken in friends yard, missing most of beak, What is she?

I believe she is a production Red Sex Link. Such beak mutilation is often done on factory farms. She could be an escapee. Hatcheries also offer debeaking, and some folks who don't know any better opt to have their chicks debeaked. If you put her into your flock, you might want to do a prophylactic mite treatment.
I think that's a good call... red sex link

I believe she is a production Red Sex Link. Such beak mutilation is often done on factory farms. She could be an escapee. Hatcheries also offer debeaking, and some folks who don't know any better opt to have their chicks debeaked. If you put her into your flock, you might want to do a prophylactic mite treatment.
Thank you that's a great idea! We bought powder last summer from Amazon and it worked really well.

Some farms will cut the beak that short when the birds are packed in so tight that the fighting gets really bad, or it could have been an accidental too-short cut from debeaking. It's cruel and entirely unneeded when the chickens are given enough room to not be incredibly stressed.
You'll need to keep an eye on her to be sure she gets enough food, but she should be okay now that it's healed.

I think that's a good call... red sex link
All in the family is thinking she is an escapee but we are not sure where, I am wondering how far she roamed. There is one farm that I know of but it is 4-5 miles away and there is a highway to cross. There may be other farms in the area also.

Some farms will cut the beak that short when the birds are packed in so tight that the fighting gets really bad, or it could have been an accidental too-short cut from debeaking. It's cruel and entirely unneeded when the chickens are given enough room to not be incredibly stressed.
You'll need to keep an eye on her to be sure she gets enough food, but she should be okay now that it's healed.
Thank you for your feed back, we'll be watching her.

All in the family is thinking she is an escapee but we are not sure where, I am wondering how far she roamed. There is one farm that I know of but it is 4-5 miles away and there is a highway to cross. There may be other farms in the area also.
Why did the chicken cross the road? to come home to you!!!:love:thumbsup

She is a Red Sex Link and she has been de-beaked which is a common practice done by factory farms. You should keep her and make sure to integrate her into your flock properly
Thank you for the comment, we are going to intergrate her into the flock. I don't think the kids will want to give her back if anyone should claim!!!

Back
Top Bottom