Stray Chicken in friends yard, missing most of beak, What is she?

Chicalinga

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 3, 2015
A friend texted, a chicken has been hanging out in her yard for almost a day. She is backed up to the woods. No one in the neighborhood knows anything about the chicken or where it may have come from. They are gonna try a flyer. She's with us now and we have a few RI-R IMG_0851.JPG
IMG_0858.JPG
for backyard chickens. I don't know what she is but she is missing 3/4 of her beak! She's been eating a ton and she layed a dark brown egg. The kids are calling her Dove, of all things! She's following my daughter all over the place!? Any thoughts or comments? Thanks for your help!

She looks like a factory farm bred orpington...poor thing...sometimes farms clip the top beak to prevent pecking...but that hen looks like both yop/bottom is gone.

So I would try to catch her and then take her to the vet she is a backyard chicken (and Rohde island red to be exact) and they tend to be really calm I would say u can eat her eggs If u want to. The fact that she is follow in your dahter around is probably because she feels safe. Her beak probably won't grow back.

????? I have no idea of that breed, but I have 2 hampshire reds with clipped beaks I bought out of sympathy, and I just love them. I do have to hand feed treats to them but I don't mind.:love

She looks like a factory farm bred orpington...poor thing...sometimes farms clip the top beak to prevent pecking...but that hen looks like both yop/bottom is gone.
Thank you for your feedback, it does look like the top and bottom beak is gone. I just hope that wasn't or is in any pain. She seems OK and is eating but my daughter says she uses her tongue as well to do so.

So I would try to catch her and then take her to the vet she is a backyard chicken (and Rohde island red to be exact) and they tend to be really calm I would say u can eat her eggs If u want to. The fact that she is follow in your dahter around is probably because she feels safe. Her beak probably won't grow back.
I think she is feeling safe. Thanks for you feedback.

????? I have no idea of that breed, but I have 2 hampshire reds with clipped beaks I bought out of sympathy, and I just love them. I do have to hand feed treats to them but I don't mind.:love
That's good to know about feeding treats! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom