Stray chicken rescued. What is she?

Cuatro Pollitos

Songster
6 Years
May 1, 2017
Albuquerque
My chickens (Lilly, Lucy, Cindy and Annie) were recently killed by my neighbor's dog, that broke through the fence. He offered to "pay for them," but how do you pay somebody back for the loss of members of their family? Anyway, I just got four new chicks who are in a brooder in my house.

And the day after I got my chicks, a friend of mine opened his front door to find a chicken on his porch.. scared the hell out of both of them! He searched for the owner, tried to find a new home, and finally I broke down and said I'd put her in my coop outside. She's pretty flighty, but is happy to have a nest box.

She has a pea comb, like my Brahma did. Can anyone tell from this pic what she is? Thanks!
stray chicken.jpg

I have a Prairie Bluebell Egger who looks like her (same pea comb, same feather color/pattern, at least from what I can tell). All the PBEs I have are flighty and active, and smaller (3-4 lbs tops for a hen).

If she lays a blue egg, I'd say that's what she is. Basically PBEs are a Hoover's Hatchery fancy easter egger that lays blue eggs.

Or she could be a barnyard mix or some other cross. More pictures would help, as previous posters have said, and egg color is helpful to know.

Also, I'm so very sorry you lost your babies!!! That's heartbreaking. I'm glad you are trying again.

Back
Top Bottom