Storing fertilized eggs in the fridge - what's the optimal humidity?

So the relevant levels to us mentioned in the article are the dry bulb ones? Do I get that right?
I should never have mentioned it as it is way more technical than you need. The dry bulb temperature is simply the air temperature. The wet bulb temperature is the temperature measured by an old mercury type thermometer with a wet cloth wrapped around the bulb so you are measuring the temperature caused by evaporation cooling. You read the humidity off of a chart. It is a very precise way to measure humidity. You do not need to be anywhere nearly that precise, especially when storing the eggs.

I am just a bit unsure about the humidity as the article shared in one of the posts above says 70%, whereas others mentioned they just leave the eggs as they are with no extra humidity boost.
The 70% is the ideal situation. The huge hatcheries that do this commercially have climate controlled storage so they can do this. The vast majority of us do not have anything like this so we just do the best we can. With a lot of us, including me, that means storing them in pretty dry conditions. I understand I am not doing much of anything according to ideal conditions (temperature or humidity) so I limit myself to one week's storage and get pretty good hatches. As others have said, they store theirs in less than ideal conditions for more than a week and still get eggs to hatch. The further you are from ideal conditions and the longer you are storing them in those conditions the less likely an egg is to hatch, but some eggs are really tough.

There is a way where you don't worry about humidity during storage. The purpose of high humidity is to reduce the loss of moisture during storage. If you wrap each egg individually in a thin plastic wrap (we call it Saran Wrap) the moisture cannot escape. You do not want anything with glue or anything sticky on it, just a thin plastic wrap. Remove it before you start incubation. I don't bother doing this as I deal with more than 2 eggs a day and I don't try to store them that long. Your goal is to get two weeks storage so it may be worth it to you.

In any case, I will try and leave the eggs outside in the hallway, it should be around 18 degrees there and hopefully, it won't go over 20.
I don't remember him mentioning it in that article but you want to avoid temperature fluctuations. Eggs that cycle between warm and cool don't do as well as eggs held at a steady temperature. I'm not sure this is a good idea.

if you don't open incubator there might be not enough oxygen. broody hens get up every day so we should mimic that as well.
Thank you, I needed a good chuckle this morning. I can just imagine a broody hen standing up, fanning her eggs, and saying "OK babies, breathe".

It does bring up a good point. As the embryos develop during incubation they are living animals and need oxygen to breathe through the porous egg. The more they develop the more oxygen they need. During storage and during the first week or so of incubation that is not an issue, they are nor developed enough that they need it. But the closer they get to hatch the more oxygen they need. Incubator manufacturers should know this.

I'll say this again because I think it is important. During storage they do not need fresh air. later during incubation and hatching they do.

I don't know which incubator you have but it sounds like it has a fan. In an incubator without a fan, warm air rises. If you have a vent open up high that warm air rising will bring in fresh air. A fan circulates the air in the incubator but if you have a vent open it will also bring in fresh air. My incubator has a fan. I always leave the vent open from the start, that way I can stabilize humidity from the beginning and don't have to adjust later. My thermostat keeps the temperature constant whether the vent is open or closed but humidity can vary.

But this would suggest putting the eggs in a container with some wet blanket or bowl with water to achieve this as 75% is really a lot.
It may not be easy to maintain close to ideal conditions but an ice chest may not be a horrible idea since your goal is to store them for a longer period of time. You might want to practice though before you start for real, the more complicated you make it the more likely something will go wrong. You may need to learn some tricks to keep the temperature steady and relatively low. My concern is more temperatures and temperature swings than humidity but you can increase humidity too. Remember you do not want condensation on the eggs. During storage the eggs don't need fresh air, that's after they have developed.

Here is all you have to do a few times a day. Just changing the angle this much is enough movement to the keep the embryo in the egg from binding to the shell. Turning also helps distribute oxygen & nutrition within the egg.
Ooooh, I get it now! I was thinking about turning the individual eggs (that's why I was puzzled how it could work with the book/board), but it didn't occur to me it's just about changing the angle... Thank you very much for the photos!

I should never have mentioned it as it is way more technical than you need. The dry bulb temperature is simply the air temperature. The wet bulb temperature is the temperature measured by an old mercury type thermometer with a wet cloth wrapped around the bulb so you are measuring the temperature caused by evaporation cooling. You read the humidity off of a chart. It is a very precise way to measure humidity. You do not need to be anywhere nearly that precise, especially when storing the eggs.

The 70% is the ideal situation. The huge hatcheries that do this commercially have climate controlled storage so they can do this. The vast majority of us do not have anything like this so we just do the best we can. With a lot of us, including me, that means storing them in pretty dry conditions. I understand I am not doing much of anything according to ideal conditions (temperature or humidity) so I limit myself to one week's storage and get pretty good hatches. As others have said, they store theirs in less than ideal conditions for more than a week and still get eggs to hatch. The further you are from ideal conditions and the longer you are storing them in those conditions the less likely an egg is to hatch, but some eggs are really tough.

There is a way where you don't worry about humidity during storage. The purpose of high humidity is to reduce the loss of moisture during storage. If you wrap each egg individually in a thin plastic wrap (we call it Saran Wrap) the moisture cannot escape. You do not want anything with glue or anything sticky on it, just a thin plastic wrap. Remove it before you start incubation. I don't bother doing this as I deal with more than 2 eggs a day and I don't try to store them that long. Your goal is to get two weeks storage so it may be worth it to you.

I don't remember him mentioning it in that article but you want to avoid temperature fluctuations. Eggs that cycle between warm and cool don't do as well as eggs held at a steady temperature. I'm not sure this is a good idea.

Thank you, I needed a good chuckle this morning. I can just imagine a broody hen standing up, fanning her eggs, and saying "OK babies, breathe".

It does bring up a good point. As the embryos develop during incubation they are living animals and need oxygen to breathe through the porous egg. The more they develop the more oxygen they need. During storage and during the first week or so of incubation that is not an issue, they are nor developed enough that they need it. But the closer they get to hatch the more oxygen they need. Incubator manufacturers should know this.

I'll say this again because I think it is important. During storage they do not need fresh air. later during incubation and hatching they do.

I don't know which incubator you have but it sounds like it has a fan. In an incubator without a fan, warm air rises. If you have a vent open up high that warm air rising will bring in fresh air. A fan circulates the air in the incubator but if you have a vent open it will also bring in fresh air. My incubator has a fan. I always leave the vent open from the start, that way I can stabilize humidity from the beginning and don't have to adjust later. My thermostat keeps the temperature constant whether the vent is open or closed but humidity can vary.

It may not be easy to maintain close to ideal conditions but an ice chest may not be a horrible idea since your goal is to store them for a longer period of time. You might want to practice though before you start for real, the more complicated you make it the more likely something will go wrong. You may need to learn some tricks to keep the temperature steady and relatively low. My concern is more temperatures and temperature swings than humidity but you can increase humidity too. Remember you do not want condensation on the eggs. During storage the eggs don't need fresh air, that's after they have developed.
Thank you, this is all very helpful! I really appreciate you putting time into this! :) I think I will have to try and measure the temperature in the hallway and how it develops over the day (and night). I've got a hunch it could be relatively stable. And I suppose, given the fact that I need to store the eggs for a week or a bit longer, it will be the safest method and a bit better than the fridge (although there, the stable temperatures, even if lower, are guaranteed, as well as humidity). The plastic wrap thing is a great tip, thank you! I will wrap them, put them in an egg carton and do the book angle thing for the turning. I think this should be ideal for roughly a week of storage. Thanks again!

:lau

my incubator has a fan and 3 tiny holes on the bottom of the door. I open it every day and spray/mist the eggs that are in lockdown. the eggs that do not hatch usually are infertile. very few dead in shell (mostly shipped eggs).

Just a little update - I found what I believe is a perfect spot for storing the eggs - it is a room right next to the entrance hall. On the floor in the corner, the temperature is stable at 19°C and only occasionally drops to 18°C. Otherwise, it stays the same and humidity is here quite high as well - 45-49%. I already got a book for "turning" prepared, egg carton, and plastic wrap to wrap the individual eggs so they will not lose moisture. Thank you for all the tips! ❤️

Hi there, just a last question - I think I remember seeing somewhere that when the fresh egg is laid, you shouldn't start incubating it right away but rather wait a day before you start. So when I will collect the last egg for my incubation batch, should I set them all into the incubator right away or should I wait that one day for the freshest egg to settle to start?

I have used a styrofoam cooler with an ice pack to store. You can put the whole egg carton in there. I rest the carton on something higher at one end and then switch it around to "rotate" the eggs a few times per day until I have enough eggs for incubation.

Follow the instructions on your incubator for proper set-up. I recommend candling the eggs at least at day 10. At that point, you should be able to remove any that haven't developed yet. Candle again at day 17 or just before lockdown for final removal of any that aren't viable at that point.

I think I remember seeing somewhere that when the fresh egg is laid, you shouldn't start incubating it right away but rather wait a day before you start. So when I will collect the last egg for my incubation batch, should I set them all into the incubator right away or should I wait that one day for the freshest egg to settle to start?

I vaguely remember reading something about that but I don't remember why. There could actually be a reason or it could just be someone's overactive imagination or some special case that doesn't apply to you. It would be interesting to read the "why".

In your case I would not wait without knowing why. If there is any real advantage in waiting (which I doubt) I would expect it to be a tiny advantage, probably not noticeable for the vast majority of eggs. You are trying to store eggs for a length of time. The longer they are stored the more at risk they are. I think you risk losing more with those older eggs than you will gain by letting the new eggs sit a day.

Hmm, I don't let my eggs go over 5 days on the counter before I start putting them in the incubator. I usually put 7 in at a time and date them. Opening the incubator every time has never affected the other eggs, as long as you have the new already dated and ready to set them in right away. I've never had all my eggs hatch when incubating but that's just the nature of incubating, I guess. Out of my last batch of 28 eggs, 19 hatched. They are now 4 months old. I sold some and kept some. I'll be incubating some more, soon, to sell. 😊

Hi there, I've read a couple of articles about storing fertilized eggs - I have two laying hens whose eggs I want to incubate, so to gather a larger amount of eggs, I will have to wait at least a week before I will collect enough to starting incubating. Which means I will have to store the collected eggs. The best place for that at my disposal is in the fridge - from what I read, the fridge is usually a bit drier than it should ideally be, but I don't think that is the case with my fridge. The temperature is 7°C (which is optimal from what I've gathered) and it actually seems quite humid (definitely more than I would like haha :D). I was wondering what would you say is the optimal humidity in terms of % for storing the fertilized eggs? I will get a measurement with my humidity meter to see what the levels are in there.
Fertilized eggs need to be kept at ambient temp. If you think about what a broody hen will do. . . she will lay eggs regularly for up to a month or so and they will sit in the nest at room temp. After she is satisfied with her clutch her hormones will kick in and she will become broody. So the first egg laid will be sitting there for a month and the last egg just a day or two. But they won't get activated until she cranks up the heat, and then they will all be on the same schedule and hatch within a day or two of each other.

If it is just a few days before you put them in the incubator there is not much you need to do. If it is longer, I usually bring them in the house and put them in a basket of bedding, and turn the eggs a couple times a day, to simulate mama sitting on the nest and turning the eggs when she is in laying the next one. It would be a fun experiment to date the eggs the day they are laid and then you could see if the fresher eggs have a better hatch rate.

Back
Top Bottom