Storing fertilized eggs in the fridge - what's the optimal humidity?

Just a thought, but would keeping them in an ice chest, not with ice, just an empty ice chest, solve the problem. I'm thinking that might keep the temperature down in the optimal area. I'm afraid the refrigerator, even at the warmest setting is going to be damaging to your eggs. Another tip I use for turning my eggs while saving them before incubation, I stick a book, or a board under one end of the cartons I'm collecting them in. Every time I walk by them, I just move the board, or book to the opposite end of the cartons.
I think somebody recommended something similar, but I have to admit, I am having trouble imagining how that works - how can the book or board move the eggs, if it's under the carton?

In any case, I will try and leave the eggs outside in the hallway, it should be around 18 degrees there and hopefully, it won't go over 20. I am just a bit unsure about the humidity as the article shared in one of the posts above says 70%, whereas others mentioned they just leave the eggs as they are with no extra humidity boost.

I think somebody recommended something similar, but I have to admit, I am having trouble imagining how that works - how can the book or board move the eggs, if it's under the carton?
I apologize. I should have been clearer. I physically move the book, or board, from under one end of the cartons to under the opposite end. So which ever end is of the carton is elevated, i just move the book under the opposite end, so the opposite end of the carton becomes elevated.

I apologize. I should have been clearer. I physically move the book, or board, from under one end of the cartons to under the opposite end. So which ever end is of the carton is elevated, i just move the book under the opposite end, so the opposite end of the carton becomes elevated.
Sorry, I still don't get it. 😶 I think I might be imagining an egg carton with eggs in it and a book or board under it and just can't imagine how that could move the eggs since they are in the carton above the board/book. :D

Sorry, I still don't get it. 😶 I think I might be imagining an egg carton with eggs in it and a book or board under it and just can't imagine how that could move the eggs since they are in the carton above the board/book. :D

The eggs are not moving inside the carton.
The whole carton is slanted to one side, or to the other side, depending on which end is propped up on the book.

That tips the eggs to one side, and then to the other side, so they get a bit of movement.
If the yolk always tries to go "up" inside the egg, it will be going up toward a slightly different part of the egg when the egg is tipped one way or the other.

Here is all you have to do a few times a day. Just changing the angle this much is enough movement to the keep the embryo in the egg from binding to the shell. Turning also helps distribute oxygen & nutrition within the egg.

Attachments

• step 1.jpg
    step 1.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 4
  • step 2.jpg
    step 2.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom