Storing fertilized eggs in the fridge - what's the optimal humidity?

Pics

VlkStinu

Songster
Aug 6, 2020
Czech Republic
Hi there, I've read a couple of articles about storing fertilized eggs - I have two laying hens whose eggs I want to incubate, so to gather a larger amount of eggs, I will have to wait at least a week before I will collect enough to starting incubating. Which means I will have to store the collected eggs. The best place for that at my disposal is in the fridge - from what I read, the fridge is usually a bit drier than it should ideally be, but I don't think that is the case with my fridge. The temperature is 7°C (which is optimal from what I've gathered) and it actually seems quite humid (definitely more than I would like haha :D). I was wondering what would you say is the optimal humidity in terms of % for storing the fertilized eggs? I will get a measurement with my humidity meter to see what the levels are in there.

I had never heard of storing fertilized eggs in the refrigerator if you are wanting to hatch them.

Can you store them in the counter? That’s where I store mine if I’m wanting to incubate. Pointy side down. I have an old egg turner where I set mine and it will turn my eggs until I finally have all the eggs I want to incubate then I add to the incubator.

I have hatched guinea eggs that were stored on the kitchen counter for over 4 weeks and had a 30% hatch rate. Had not intended to hatch them so they weren't turned. A week or even 2 is nothing. If a hen lays an average of 5 eggs a week, it takes up to 2 weeks for her to lay enough eggs to brood and those eggs are exposed to the elements.

Thank you for all the replies!
Oh really? So you wouldn't store them in cold at all? I have roughly 20-22 degrees at home, so on the counter as well. Humidity moves around 40%, sometimes a bit more, sometimes less - isn't that too dry? So you would just put them upside down (the pointy end down) in the egg carton and that's it? Would I need to turn the eggs before the incubation? I wanted to incubate 10 eggs, so it would take roughly 5-7 days to get them all from 2 hens, so it shouldn't be too long.

I currently have 2 cartons on the counter from I have been collecting in for about a week. I plan on setting 22 eggs in about 4 days. I just let them sit on the counter at room temp (55-65). For turning, place a coaster or wood scrap under one short end of the carton. Switch it a couple times a day. this will move the eggs enough. Honestly I don't even do that though. They just get jostled a bit when I add eggs.

I currently have 2 cartons on the counter from I have been collecting in for about a week. I plan on setting 22 eggs in about 4 days. I just let them sit on the counter at room temp (55-65). For turning, place a coaster or wood scrap under one short end of the carton. Switch it a couple times a day. this will move the eggs enough. Honestly I don't even do that though. They just get jostled a bit when I add eggs.
Oh, 55-65 is quite a low temperature... Isn't mine a bit too high? I don't have a room where it's cooler, unfortunately...

For the turning, I am working from home, so I have time to turn them from time to time individually (it will be just a couple of eggs). Should I just turn them around a vertical axis or any special technique of turning? :)

Because I live in Hawaii I cannot personally keep my eggs on the counter or they will start to develop. I keep my hatching eggs in the refrigerator. It is a little extra refrigerator we use for drinks and I keep it at the warmest setting which is about 45°F. I can keep my eggs in there for up to two weeks. Any longer and the viability goes down significantly.
I keep them pointy side down and turn them from side to side about three times a day.😊

Put a mark on the eggs and date. Put them in a muffin pan or egg carton on the counter pointy end down. Orient them all with the mark up. 3 or more times a day, give them a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Not an exact science. You are just trying to keep the yolk centered. Think how a hen will disturb a clutch of eggs every time she lays another egg. Turning them mimicks it.

Back
Top Bottom