Should poultry be raised in cities, county communities or near any of these?

It's a good problem statement, is there a solution brainstorm? Maybe HOA's could charge more money and hire home inspectors who know what issues are caused by not following guidelines, then enforce. I d k, it's like I keep saying, if you don't have a solution then expect everything. Expect people to complain and challenge you, expect to be unfairly judged, all of it... It's the people who are completely surprised that other people don't like them having chickens, whether based in fact or fiction, that I don't get. People didn't like me having a fire on 2 acres. I can't change that. I can just be within the law.
Seems like all us keyboard warriors can do is point out problems without giving solutions. Maybe we should start a solutions thread?

What if you live in a suburb of a major city but all lots are an acre+ with no HOA? If you abide by city regulations and keep chickens responsibly, I see no issues.

Regs in my area are that your coop/run is 50ft away from any primary residence structure other than your own and no roosters.

someone buying land next to us
YEP! We never realized until it happened, that across/the other side of the River from us, development, squatters, people cutting down trees in the night, etc. could happen... And guess what one squatter in a RV brought with him, Jersey giant chickens. Totaly against zoning laws but before the county could step in, the chickens decimated the river bank vegetation. I had to spend my kids college money buying up that property just to protect it from humans and development. Had I not, who knows what kind of erosion and mess would have occurred. very sad state of affairs.

I think you can raise chickens in all of those places if they're suitable - I mean, with all the necessities like food, water, and a space to roam. I live in a city/suburb and keep chickens in my backyard, and they're happy and healthy. One of my friends who has chickens lives in a 'county community,' which may even be better than a city since chickens have a lot more places to forage there. I'm not saying that cities and county communities are the BEST places that chickens should be raised, but I think it's perfectly fine if they are raised there. Just wondering, why do you think they shouldn't?
Agreed, back in the day chickens were all over cities. They don't need a lot of room and are a great source of food for families.

Bonus question
How many people who raise chickens also raise a garden? If not why not? If you do garden do you use the chicken manure? If not why not?
I'm not exactly Joel Salatin level, but I take what I can from his methodology. Massive garden, orchard, circulate chickens by season and poo is incredibly valuable/essential as I have very sandy soil (which is lovely for the most part, just need alot of compost.)

Bonus question
How many people who raise chickens also raise a garden? If not why not? If you do garden do you use the chicken manure? If not why not?
I used to have a garden but moved to a house that allowed me to raise chickens on the only flat portion of our backyard. The rest of the yard is at a 45degree slope, veggies would roll away 🤣

I do however collect the chicken 💩 which I give to a friend in exchange for delicious tomatoes and squash from her garden (also in the city BTW). Win Win

Chickens.
Two large gardens.
A few fruit trees/bushes.
Bees.

Chicken poop has improved my gardens immensely. Poop, it's the "other thing I collect from a chicken's butt."

I see no issue with raising chickens in cities,  with a reasonably sized yard and consent from neighbors, and in accordance with laws AND with good sanitation. I have done so and never had issues. Planning is key. Checking with neighbors, laws, space for birds, comfortable and sanitary coop, and noise level are the responsibility of the would be keepers. If that is done, then there shouldn't be any issues. I have raised chickens in a town area, and it went fine. Neighbors weren't bothered, and the coop was closer to my house than neighbors. Food was kept in airtight containers in a screened in back porch. No issues whatsoever. I don't see much difference between a couple hens and a large dog that barks. If you have a large barking dog, it may annoy neighbors, and if it's waste isn't cleaned up, the property attracts flies. It just depends on where and how well you plan, taking neighbors comfort into account.

Back
Top Bottom