Should poultry be raised in cities, county communities or near any of these?

Pics
I've lived in cities where there were "smell, flies, rodents, noise and pollution," and not a chicken within miles. These issues were obviously not due to the presence of chickens, but to the mismanagement and carelessness of humans only. In some cases, but not always, there were dogs and cats involved. Should we pass ordinances forbidding people to have or keep dogs or cats in "cities, county communities, or near any of these?" Or should we restrict people from living in "cities, county communities or near any of these" since it is clear that in many cases it is humans, not animals, that cause these problems?

People produce trash and often that trash stinks, spills out on the street, or blows into their neighbors' properties. Dogs and cats produce excrement that often is not contained on the owners' property, as these animals often wander about the neighborhood. Even if the animal is contained, the odors often are not. Urban chickens, on the other hand, typically are caged and cooped within the confines of their owners' properties, as these are vulnerable - and valuable - prey animals. Their excrement is valuable as compost to be used in gardening. Unlike cats and dogs, they produce eggs and meat and as such are likely to be carefully tended. Three or four hens in an urban dweller's back yard is a far cry from a commercial producer's millions of birds, and not likely to have a negative impact on a neighborhood, and I'm sure you're well aware of that fact.

I think these issues you mention are easier to control having a small flock versus a large one. Not saying they can’t still become issues with a small flock but there’s a lot less waste from a small one. I certainly don’t think people should keep 20 chickens in their small backyard in a city but if they have a small backyard flock or a few acres of property within city limits and means for properly caring for the chickens, I think its fine.

I love our small backyard flock, we choose to have them because the pros outweigh the cons. Possible cons you mention are waste, flies, smell, noise, run off from poultry….we mitigate these things fine with a small flock. I’m sure it’s more difficult with a large one. Also, not everyone keeps poultry to harvest them, especially those with backyard flocks.

They’re noisy when they lay, yes, but our small flock is a lot less noisy than obnoxious dogs all throughout the neighborhood.

As for the waste, rodents, smells and flies….we don’t see much of this around our property or at any of our neighbors’ who also all have small backyard flocks. There are ways to successfully mitigate these things. Not everyone who keeps poultry does diligently keep up with waste and such, I agree, but on the flip side, plenty of us do. We love our flocks and would hate to loose them because of neighbor complaints of these things.

I think overall part of keeping and providing for any animal means always thinking “what can I do better?” To me, that is where the thought of “well it isn’t ideal, but it works”, comes from. We (well me, personally, anyways) will always want to give them bigger and better…do they (5 hens) have more than enough room in their 8x8 coop and 18x8 run and our back yard to “free range” in on our acre and a half property in the city? Yes! More than enough! Do I wish they had more? Yes! I “ideally” would want them to have a huge heated barn and 5 acres to run around on with plenty of grass, bushes and trees to play in…there’s absolutely nothing wrong with what they have now, though, even if I want better for them. I love knowing that I’m giving a few hens a good home even if I have to mitigate the cons you mention. More chickens deserve good homes, even if it’s not 5 acres.

Smell, flies, rodents, noise, pollution
Um..you ever been to NYC in the morning before the garbage trucks come? 🤣 Those five words describe a lot of urban spaces very broadly and it has nothing to do with chickens. I guess some wealthy white picket fence type places are cleaner and quieter. Still, one place I worked could perhaps have used some office chickens to help eat the mice that kept infesting filing cabinets.

I think you can raise chickens in all of those places if they're suitable - I mean, with all the necessities like food, water, and a space to roam. I live in a city/suburb and keep chickens in my backyard, and they're happy and healthy. One of my friends who has chickens lives in a 'county community,' which may even be better than a city since chickens have a lot more places to forage there. I'm not saying that cities and county communities are the BEST places that chickens should be raised, but I think it's perfectly fine if they are raised there. Just wondering, why do you think they shouldn't?

How many people who raise chickens also raise a garden? If not why not? If you do garden do you use the chicken manure? If not why not?
Chickens.
Two large gardens.
A few fruit trees/bushes.
Bees.

Chicken poop has improved my gardens immensely. Poop, it's the "other thing I collect from a chicken's butt."

Bonus question
How many people who raise chickens also raise a garden? If not why not? If you do garden do you use the chicken manure? If not why not?
Chickens..... ✔
Garden..... X
Because I don't eat anything from a garden and they're not even entertaining to watch.

It's a good problem statement, is there a solution brainstorm? Maybe HOA's could charge more money and hire home inspectors who know what issues are caused by not following guidelines, then enforce. I d k, it's like I keep saying, if you don't have a solution then expect everything. Expect people to complain and challenge you, expect to be unfairly judged, all of it... It's the people who are completely surprised that other people don't like them having chickens, whether based in fact or fiction, that I don't get. People didn't like me having a fire on 2 acres. I can't change that. I can just be within the law.
I'm essentially on the same page as you. If I'm not following my zoning, I'm in the wrong. If I am, then I should still be expected to keep the animals in a healthful way. The only concern is where "healthful" becomes subjective. People can find problems where they want to. Conversely, people will ignore problems when convenient to themselves. It's certainly EASIER to just outlaw chickens than to try and establish a clear law of what is acceptable vs. not in their keeping situation.

I think we err on the side of freedom, and generally expecting people to treat their animals and neighbors well, because we all see the injustice in assuming the opposite beforeany wrong has been done. Factually many people will fail to do both, and that's where things get messy.

I don't have a huge problem with zoning and HOAs, provided they don't change on established property owners who will suddenly NOT be living according to their original wishes. I DO think it is a mistake to have humans, innately hardwired to find fault in the living arrangements of others, living within eyesight of one another XD

My solution? Space the humans out and keep them out of one another's business!! Lol

Back
Top Bottom