Should poultry be raised in cities, county communities or near any of these?

I've taken a liberty and tried to condense/classify OP's stated reasons against; my classifications in  bold:
  • Smell, flies, rodents (sanitation)
  • noise (annoyance/human quality of life)
  • pollution (chicken 💩), run off from poultry, Death loss disposal, disposal of in trails when harvesting (sanitation/sustainability)
My thoughts on each class of issue:
  • Sanitation: Managed via coop/run cleaning, feed management, composting, and fertilization
  • Annoyance: This is subjective to the individual in question, and is accounted for via zoning/HOA rules. It is on each person to know what they are zoned for or allowed on both sides
  • Sustainability: Poop and bodies/entrails both function as fertilizer; no waste or pollution involved unless we're objecting to fertilizer itself as a pollutant? If so, then a backyard keeper is still doing less than a commercial one just based on numbers
Every stated issue is manageable in a backyard setting, so long as the flock is scaled appropriately and follows zoning/HOA standards.

I'm guessing the objection is more based around a judgement that backyard keepers do NOT do these things, and therefore should never be zoned to own chickens in the first place. I understand being frustrated with humans not "doing things right according to me" lol, because that happens all the time! But thankfully I don't have the power to revoke almost everyone's permission to drive just because a lot of them don't do it the way I think they should. Zoning and HOAs, if also imperfect, at least help establish expectations that greatly reduce the number of conflicts we'd have otherwise over items exactly like this.
It's a good problem statement, is there a solution brainstorm? Maybe HOA's could charge more money and hire home inspectors who know what issues are caused by not following guidelines, then enforce. I d k, it's like I keep saying, if you don't have a solution then expect everything. Expect people to complain and challenge you, expect to be unfairly judged, all of it... It's the people who are completely surprised that other people don't like them having chickens, whether based in fact or fiction, that I don't get. People didn't like me having a fire on 2 acres. I can't change that. I can just be within the law.

Of course people should be allowed to own chickens no more where they live!

No one should be able to make laws preventing people from being able to take care of their self ( protect themselves or grow their own food )

Now of course everyone no matter where they live needs to be caring for these animals properly. This includes keeping everything clean and healthy including not making an unhealthy environment for the other people living around you ( and in the whole world for that matter )

So obviously there are exceptions to everything like if you where doing a horrible job at caring for your animals.

But everyone should be able to take care of their self no matter where they live. ( Not everyone has enough money to own their own farm ) but should these people that can't afford a farm be denied the ability to care for themselves? NO!
Anyone who thinks that it is right to make laws like this are clearly not thinking about what is really important. People should always be free to grow their own food. If this bothers someone and they don't like it that there neighbors are growing their own food and trying to be more self sustaining than they need to go make their own little neighborhood where no one knows how to grow their own food or take care of their self and..well we all know what would happen to the if they all of the sudden couldn't rely on other people to get their food..

Of course people should be allowed to own chickens no more where they live!
Actually no they should not. If people buy homes under HOA rules that prohibit chicken keeping, that's what they should get. That's what HOA is, people choosing to live a particular way such as in a neighborhood with no farm animals. You're saying they should not have that right. It's not how it works. I didn't for a second resent the people who lived in HOA ville next to me, that was there right. And on the flip side it was my right to live where I could have chickens. Life is full of choices....

Excellent comments and yes I do know where Enumclaw is. We used to live in Tumwater WA now we live west of Spokane WA on a twenty acre farm. I built the sixty by sixteen leentwo barn. And we are completely off grid living the retired life. We couldn't do what we do near or in town guineas are too loud.

It's a good problem statement, is there a solution brainstorm? Maybe HOA's could charge more money and hire home inspectors who know what issues are caused by not following guidelines, then enforce. I d k, it's like I keep saying, if you don't have a solution then expect everything. Expect people to complain and challenge you, expect to be unfairly judged, all of it... It's the people who are completely surprised that other people don't like them having chickens, whether based in fact or fiction, that I don't get. People didn't like me having a fire on 2 acres. I can't change that. I can just be within the law.
I'm essentially on the same page as you. If I'm not following my zoning, I'm in the wrong. If I am, then I should still be expected to keep the animals in a healthful way. The only concern is where "healthful" becomes subjective. People can find problems where they want to. Conversely, people will ignore problems when convenient to themselves. It's certainly EASIER to just outlaw chickens than to try and establish a clear law of what is acceptable vs. not in their keeping situation.

I think we err on the side of freedom, and generally expecting people to treat their animals and neighbors well, because we all see the injustice in assuming the opposite beforeany wrong has been done. Factually many people will fail to do both, and that's where things get messy.

I don't have a huge problem with zoning and HOAs, provided they don't change on established property owners who will suddenly NOT be living according to their original wishes. I DO think it is a mistake to have humans, innately hardwired to find fault in the living arrangements of others, living within eyesight of one another XD

My solution? Space the humans out and keep them out of one another's business!! Lol

Where we live our greatest fear is someone buying land next to us and complaining about whatever. Even though we live on land zoned for livestock. It happens there has been many farms closed because of this. Years ago backyard farms were called hobby farms. Because they don't produce enough to really feed anybody. When we lived in town we raised over 500 quail maybe more. 250 quail was for us to eat the rest was for eggs and egg sales and chick sales. That's called being self-sufficient. Six chickens don't add up enough. But fun none the less.

Actually no they should not. If people buy homes under HOA rules that prohibit chicken keeping, that's what they should get. That's what HOA is, people choosing to live a particular way such as in a neighborhood with no farm animals. You're saying they should not have that right. It's not how it works. I didn't for a second resent the people who lived in HOA ville next to me, that was there right. And on the flip side it was my right to live where I could have chickens. Life is full of choices....
Much as I dislike it that is correct. If you sign a piece of paper saying that you agree to not have chickens, you have no right to have chickens, or argue about it. READ THE FINE PRINT. Sadly, I know moving isn't an option for everyone.

Bonus question
How many people who raise chickens also raise a garden? If not why not? If you do garden do you use the chicken manure? If not why not?
Chickens..... ✔
Garden..... X
Because I don't eat anything from a garden and they're not even entertaining to watch.

Back
Top Bottom