should I get blue-laced red Wyandottes? Hot summer climate

Also, you’re right. They will add pretty lacing to your flock. Here’s a cockerel who is half Wyandotte. Notice the light lacing on his chest.

Attachments

• 1B526D7D-5D4C-4D77-91F4-CB4F5C17D165.jpeg
    1B526D7D-5D4C-4D77-91F4-CB4F5C17D165.jpeg
    783.4 KB · Views: 10
Your birds are beautiful. May I ask where you got them from?
I ordered some from a private breeder and some from Cackle a while back and then I bred the best few and now I only keep the ones with the best lacing

The Cackle ones were better than the breeder ones. These aren’t show quality though. The lacing is good. But their bodies aren’t as round as they are supposed to be. I don’t really care about that though. I just like the lacing

In the months when our heat is at its worst, we see up a sprinkler system so there is a light mist in part of the run. We also have lots of fruit trees and hiding places that are a bit cooler in the shade. We have not had problems with heat with our girls, we also have lots of water bowls out that they can stand in and cool off as well as areas for drinking water.

I don't use misting systems or any other special cooling measures. I just give them shade, extra waterers, electrolytes once a week, and *sometimes* wet part of the run -- though that's more incidental to bringing the hose in there and dumping waterers when changing them.

Back
Top Bottom