Chickens for hot summer/cold winter areas

To be honest, I’m getting a little overwhelmed with all the recommendations. However, thanks for all the advice.

I am building a shaded coop, with a run that has shade, by the way. I failed to mention that.

Yes, it can get pretty confusing. :)

Fortunately, chickens are tough, adaptable livestock that are capable of thriving under many conditions as long as their basic needs are met.

Sounds like a good coop/run setup, Jared. :thumbsup Concentrate on that first. (Make it bigger than you think you'll need... How do I know this? Trust me, I know this!)

Maybe make a list of all the suggested breeds, and look up 2-3 at a time, write down your thoughts. You can probably whittle the list down pretty well doing that.

Some things might be a "nope, not right for me," regardless of their climate adaptability. Like broodiness, or feathered legs, or cost, or number of expected eggs.

Lots of suggestions so far on what TO get, so I'll offer one suggestion for what NOT to get - English Orpingtons. They are too fluffy for hot weather, and if you average 90 degrees in the summer, they'll be miserable. We get 90s only as occasional peaks, and I'm in MA so not a state known for heat, and yet my English Orps pant and look pathetic in the summer (I also have Barnevelders and they have no problems at all). When I put my hand in their fluff, it's HOT in there! And that's with their coop and run being in shade all day. They do great in the winter, but sadly they have the same luxurious dress in all seasons, so it can be too much in the summer.

Yes! Black Australorps. Developed for Australia weather. Dual purpose. Fantastic egg layers. And gorgeous iridescent feathers. I will say this last summer we had uncharacteristically hot days (we're in Southern California) and when it hit 104 F early in the day, we brought the girls into the house because we could see they were in distress. There was no breeze; it was horrible out. At that point, we only had two girls in our flock. We brought them in, took them straight to the tub, and cool water made all the difference. But over all? They do great. Cheers!

Hi everyone,

Right now, I am planning out my chicken coop I’m going to be building. I’m also planning out what types of chickens I’m going to raise. I just have one question.

I live in an area, specifically near Twin Falls, Idaho, that has very hot summers, and very cold winters.

Is there a breed of chicken that does well in this type of climate?

Just so you know, I plan on raising about eight chickens, primarily for eggs, and maybe meat later on. Dual purpose, basically.

If somebody can recommend some breeds to me, I will appreciate it.

Jared.
I'm in South Dakota where the climate typically ranges from 15⁰F to 90⁰F. I have 15 Rhode Island Reds and they are doing great. It's been really cold this winter. Last night it was down to -15⁰ F actual temp (-30⁰F wind chill). When it's nice, I get 15 eggs a day. When it's been cold like this, I've been getting 10-12. I'm really happy with them.

Well, it’s hard to say about winter, because it has been unusual here the last two years. The summers, however, have been an average of 90F.
compared to Texas that's not hot. But I don't think my hot weather Americaunas would like your winters, the lavenders don't seem to like mine. At least they quit laying. Barnevelders don't like 100s but do like a cold winter, it seems to me, then again you probably get colder than I do. I've kept Black australorps and barred rocks, they did not like my summers with month long 100 degree days and 80 degree nights, but they are wonderful chickens. Especially the Australorps.

There is not a cold winter in Southern Idaho. Looking at the average lows for the year in Twin City- night time lows Dec- Jan are 21 F. Average daytime highs for the year top out in July at 89 F.

I'm sorry, no special requirements needed. Any chicken can handle those extremes.

There is not a cold winter in Southern Idaho. Looking at the average lows for the year in Twin City- night time lows Dec- Jan are 21 F. Average daytime highs for the year top out in July at 89 F.

I'm sorry, no special requirements needed. Any chicken can handle those extremes.
Eh remember averages are averages. There are temps much lower than 21F. I’m farther west than OP, and we’ve had weeks this winter where the high is in the low/mid 20s. The lows have been in the single digits and negatives. Twin Falls is known as being colder than the Treasure Valley. The average doesn’t matter to an organism, the lowest low or the highest high is the limit. So I wouldn’t be suggesting any breed like Mediterranean breeds, smaller combs are better for that part of Idaho. Just my 2c.

Back
Top Bottom