should I get blue-laced red Wyandottes? Hot summer climate

drangle

Songster
Sep 1, 2022
Southeast colorado
I have been pondering this question.

the reason I want to get them is I think they are the prettiest chicken breed and i would love to try to add some of that beautiful lacing into my flock genetics over time.

The reason I have held back is that we have hot dry summers here from late june to late august its over 90, 100-degree days are very common. I have heard this breed doesn't do well in the heat. I can provide shade, cool water, and even a fan in their coop but it is still dog hot outside.

So what say you? is it worth it or should i try to find some other laced breed that lays well and does better in the heat?

We're zone 9a/b. So we're a borderline on conditions. We have the opposite. Our summers are hot and humid (and rainy). As for heat our wyandottes have never done any different than any other breeds. We have plenty of shade, fresh water, and plenty of dirt for them to bathe in (this also helps cool them off). I think as long as you provide them with these things they should be fine. And they're a beautiful breed. We just added 2 of the BLR to our flock this summer. They're starting to get their pretty blue feathers right now (in the past we've had golden laced only, and they did fine with heat) and they are definitely a unique looking breed.

I live in New Orleans and have 2, they have done fine for 4 years. They are very hardy tough birds. One was attacked by a possum and is still healing after about 2 or 3 months. She still has a ways to go, but she gets better every day. With continued medical treatment she will be fine. She gave that possum a run for his money until I could get out there and take care of the possum. She has been inside healing since. Such a beautiful and grateful girl. :love
I would highly recommend them.

I live in New Orleans and have 2, they have done fine for 4 years. They are very hardy tough birds. One was attacked by a possum and is still healing after about 2 or 3 months. She still has a ways to go, but she gets better every day. With continued medical treatment she will be fine. She gave that possum a run for his money until I could get out there and take care of the possum. She has been inside healing since. Such a beautiful and grateful girl. :love
I would highly recommend them.
Poor girl. Despise varmits. 😡 Praying for a full recovery.

Poor girl. Despise varmits. 😡 Praying for a full recovery.
Thank you, she is really doing very well. When we are around her we take the top off her container and she chats with us and purrs. There are lots of windows in the den and she likes to look outside. We have really enjoyed her and as banged up as she was, she held the possum off pretty well until I could get rid of him. I think they are a great chicken for your backyard.

So what say you? is it worth it or should i try to find some other laced breed that lays well and does better in the heat?

Unfortunately, there are no laced breeds bred for heat-tolerance. :(

I find that my SLWs suffer more from the heat than some of my others, but I took the precaution of ordering them from Ideal on the theory that their breeding flocks would automatically be selected for heat-tolerance. Privett would be subject to the same effect.

Unfortunately, there are no laced breeds bred for heat-tolerance. :(

I find that my SLWs suffer more from the heat than some of my others, but I took the precaution of ordering them from Ideal on the theory that their breeding flocks would automatically be selected for heat-tolerance. Privett would be subject to the same effect.
In the months when our heat is at its worst, we see up a sprinkler system so there is a light mist in part of the run. We also have lots of fruit trees and hiding places that are a bit cooler in the shade. We have not had problems with heat with our girls, we also have lots of water bowls out that they can stand in and cool off as well as areas for drinking water.

I live in Mississippi. Mine have thrived and I don’t do anything other than give them shade outside and good ventilation in the coop. I don’t do the ice or the fans, though I know people on here do those extra things.

FB9A7C1A-5EEF-4B26-AD29-3C8DF881B164.jpeg

93336CE2-2A36-4692-8E9B-2BA51F8C2CA1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom