Chickens for hot summer/cold winter areas

Of course I agree about the wonderful nature of Australorps, but really any of the classic, American "barnyard" breeds should be highly adaptable to a wide variety of climate and weather conditions.

I suggest trying several breeds to see which you like best. If you're getting 8 maybe try 2 Australorps, 2 Barred Rocks, 2 RIRs, and 2 of whatever else strikes your fancy. :)

I think the question should really be "Coop for hot summer, cold winter areas", because if their housing can accommodate both most breeds will be totally fine.

I have English Orpington in Florida, LOL.
His coop is in deep shade under grandaddy oaks and is mostly open-air.
I wouldn't put him in the shed coop which has only adequate ventilation. Or the sunny open-air one.
The open-air shaded coop is actually cooler than anywhere else in the yard on those super hot days.

So, what does your yard offer in the way of shade and general topography?
3KillerBs has had some excellent ideas about working with microclimates.

I'm trying to remember what Twin Falls looks like, I know I flew in and out of there on training flights from Boise but I might be mixing it up with Pocatello. One of them is very desert like....
So, If I lived somewhere desert like (such as Arizona) with no natural shade, I think I'd dig down about 4-5 feet, put a short block wall around it to keep water out, then hardware cloth up to the ceiling all the way around. I'd make the roof waterproof and sturdy and put down top soil and sod, or a garden on it. Leaves reflect the sun really well.
Oooh, what if the roof could also be the run? 😯

To be honest, I’m getting a little overwhelmed with all the recommendations. However, thanks for all the advice.

I am building a shaded coop, with a run that has shade, by the way. I failed to mention that.
Sorry! We get excited to share 😅.

Is Idaho Falls the town with the $6 zoo? If so, I went there on a whim and it was a fantastic experience!

Okay I live in extremeville SW Neb. Many days over 100 in summer. Winters can get -30 some days . Weeks in winter can hover 0 to below zero.
I have Rhode Island Red, Australorp, golden sex link. They did well in winter. I now have leghorns they got some frostbite this winter.
For summer they will need to have some care to keep them cooled down. The bigger breeds had a harder time.
IMO stay away from "big" breeds or tiny ones with your climate.
You'll do fine , you will find your own favorite breeds.

I have Plymouth Barred Rocks. It gets up to around 30C in summer here, sometimes higher and often with high humidity. There are usually a few days in winter where it gets to be -30C with windchill.

They handle both extremes fairly well. They definitely get a bit sluggish in high heat and humidity and will sit or stand around panting, especially midday, but they bounce back fairly quick once the temperature drops. The only time that I've ever had one truly struggle with the heat, it turned out that she was unwell.

They seem to handle cold a little bit better than they do the heat, even though they deal with both just fine. My hens will huddle in the coop on really cold, windy days to stay out of the chill, but anything less and they are usually up and about anywhere they can be. They will walk through snow as long it isn't too deep for them to move.

I hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom