Shocking result of using Frontline Plus on my rooster!

RobG7aChattTN

Crowing
9 Years
10 Years
Sep 27, 2013
McDonald, TN (near Chattanooga)
O.K. Believe it or not...this eye looks far BETTER than it did before I used Frontline on this rooster!

This poor guy has had a bad eye since before he learned to crow. I introduced him to the pen with mature Buff Orpington hens before he was ready because he was getting beat up by a faster maturing Cream Legbar cockerel that I had housed with him. So...he got picked on relentlessly by the hens and had to sleep outside in cold damp conditions and he developed this bad eye which got really swollen and you couldn't see the eyeball...just white tissue in there. It was larger than a marble. As he grew the eye stayed the same. He always ate well and mated and everything but not exactly in a robust way and he never tid-bitted for the hens. Well, he was also lazy about grooming himself and lately he was getting some external parasites and a few attempts of using sevin dust didn't seem to be doing the trick. So, in desperation one day as I finished putting Frontline on my two cats I noticed a little drop left and remembered hearing that some folks put it on their chickens and I went ahead and put the one drop on him. The next day he was amazingly perky...strutting around like never before. I thought maybe his eye was less swollen but I couldn't really get a glimpse of it. I had to go out of town for a few days and when I got back I was shocked that after almost a year his eye was no longer swollen. You could see the eyeball (although it seems a bit cloudy) and there is loose, saggy skin around the eye...but it certainly wasn't the size of a marble! So...was the swollen eye the result of some sort of parasite? Were the parasites weakening his immune system so that he couldn't fight whatever it was that made his eye swell up? I just thought it was some sort of permanent damage.

I started telling this story to a fellow chicken keeper and before I got to the part about the Frontline she said, "Oh, that's a worm". Well, I couldn't find anything about it I'll keep looking. It sure makes sense now that it was a parasite. I thought it was all kind of crazy things up to this point.

There is an eyeworm that infects poultry in the southeast. I can't tell you much about it since we do not have it here. Try go ogling it and see if the symptoms match.

There is an eyeworm that infects poultry in the southeast. I can't tell you much about it since we do not have it here. Try go ogling it and see if the symptoms match.
I finally found a bit of information on it. It's called Manson's eye worm. Somehow it is both common and barely mentioned anywhere. The main information I find is a book written in 1904 and not much since then. They say that the best way to kill it is by dripping VetRx into the eye, and maybe the nostril...if I remember correctly. I'm wondering if the Frontline works just as well but since I know it at least works fairly well I'll at least wait to dose with the VetRx after the Frontline has worn off, presumably in a month.

Fipronil isn't approved for use in any livestock species; It's meant to be used on dogs and cats ONLY, who are hopefully not eaten here. Chickens are actually livestock, and any bird could end up sold and eaten, or if a hen, her eggs could be eaten too. It's a great product, but there are other safer products out there that are also used in humans and livestock, with longer track records. Mary

Fipronil isn't approved for use in any livestock species; It's meant to be used on dogs and cats ONLY, who are hopefully not eaten here. Chickens are actually livestock, and any bird could end up sold and eaten, or if a hen, her eggs could be eaten too. It's a great product, but there are other safer products out there that are also used in humans and livestock, with longer track records. Mary
Then how is it safe for dogs and cats? Whaaatt....

Back
Top Bottom