Shipped Emu Hatching Egg

I feed them a ratite pellet feed year round. This one specifically:

https://www.chewy.com/kalmbach-feeds-20-grower-breeder/dp/244661

On the care sheet their breeder gave to us, this is the diet she recommends: "Lots of pasture and browsing, 16% all stock sweet feed, rabbit pellets, non medicated chicken layer pellets or crumbles, whole oats and occasional scratch grains and whole corn as treats in the wintertime. They love whole grain bread, black oil sunflower seeds and dog food as well for treats! Bread can also be used them to administer their dewormers and other medications if needed. Our emu also get a varied diet of fruits and vegetables on a regular basis from a local farm and orchard. The fruits and veggies they can eat are: grapes, strawberries, apples, peaches (their favorite!), pears, plums, nectarines, paw paws, kiwi fruit, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli leaves, carrots and sweet potatoes. Occasionally we will feed our emu pond fish food and dog food as treats (since they are omnivores)."

But its easier for me right now just to buy the complete ratite feed. I might start mixing my own when I have more emus since it will be a little more cost effective that way. But they do fine on just the kalmbach ratite pellets with some kale for treats everyday.

Unfortunately the new emu egg looks bad.

F6FE1486-AE5C-4382-B223-E51276BBECCE.jpeg

I put it in the incubator this morning and this afternoon when I went to check on it, it had started oozing. I messaged the seller and she is going to send me a new one. She thinks it is due to it being frozen either during shipping or prior to her collecting it.

Unfortunately the new emu egg looks bad.

View attachment 3328861

I put it in the incubator this morning and this afternoon when I went to check on it, it had started oozing. I messaged the seller and she is going to send me a new one. She thinks it is due to it being frozen either during shipping or prior to her collecting it.
Awww, poor thing. I’m so glad your seller came through.
In your hand, that egg looks humongous! And absolutely stunning!
Are all you emus going to be the same kind/color/size? How many are you going to have?

I feed them a ratite pellet feed year round. This one specifically:

https://www.chewy.com/kalmbach-feeds-20-grower-breeder/dp/244661

On the care sheet their breeder gave to us, this is the diet she recommends: "Lots of pasture and browsing, 16% all stock sweet feed, rabbit pellets, non medicated chicken layer pellets or crumbles, whole oats and occasional scratch grains and whole corn as treats in the wintertime. They love whole grain bread, black oil sunflower seeds and dog food as well for treats! Bread can also be used them to administer their dewormers and other medications if needed. Our emu also get a varied diet of fruits and vegetables on a regular basis from a local farm and orchard. The fruits and veggies they can eat are: grapes, strawberries, apples, peaches (their favorite!), pears, plums, nectarines, paw paws, kiwi fruit, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli leaves, carrots and sweet potatoes. Occasionally we will feed our emu pond fish food and dog food as treats (since they are omnivores)."

But its easier for me right now just to buy the complete ratite feed. I might start mixing my own when I have more emus since it will be a little more cost effective that way. But they do fine on just the kalmbach ratite pellets with some kale for treats everyday.
I’ve read good things at BYC about Kalmbach feed. Free shipping at Chewy?

Awww, poor thing. I’m so glad your seller came through.
In your hand, that egg looks humongous! And absolutely stunning!
Are all you emus going to be the same kind/color/size? How many are you going to have?
My goal is to get 2 more this year, and if I hatch any more than that, i'll sell them. I just have standard (brown) eggs in the incubator right now, but my current emus are blond. I think all emus are more or less the same size when full grown. I'd eventually like to get a white emu too, but they are the most expensive.

My goal is to get 2 more this year, and if I hatch any more than that, i'll sell them. I just have standard (brown) eggs in the incubator right now, but my current emus are blond. I think all emus are more or less the same size when full grown. I'd eventually like to get a white emu too, but they are the most expensive.
I wonder why? Rare?
This is very interesting ! Have other emu keepers reached out to you? I see there’s a few on here.

I wonder why? Rare?
This is very interesting ! Have other emu keepers reached out to you? I see there’s a few on here.
Right, white emus are the rarest. I haven’t had other emu keepers reach out to me on here, but there a few I have talked to on Facebook. There are a couple active emu groups on Facebook: “emu owners group” and “backyard emus”. I like byc as a forum for record keeping and sharing my experience, but when I have questions I have been going to the Facebook groups since they are more active than the emu section on byc.

Back
Top Bottom