Shipped Emu Hatching Egg

Sneakyturtle

Songster
Dec 29, 2021
Louisville, KY
I ordered an emu hatching egg and it’s supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Should I let it sit wide side up for 24 hours like with regular shipped chicken eggs, or should I go ahead and put it in the incubator when it gets here?

I got my emu egg today! From what I have been reading online, it’s good to let it sit for 12-24 hours after receiving it, so I’m waiting a bit to put it in the incubator. I received it at 9am this morning and i think I’m going to put it in the incubator before I go to bed tonight at midnight.

I have two 10 month old emus who I got as 3 week old chicks, but I have never hatched an emu egg before, so I’m really keeping my fingers crossed it works out. I have also been talking to a local breeder and will probably buy a couple eggs from him later on in a few weeks as well.

I’m going to try hatching in my NR360 with a riser and an emu egg turner that I got from incubator warehouse. I have used the NR360 to hatch chicken eggs before, but I haven’t tried it with anything else yet.

Anyone have any tips for hatching emu eggs in a NR360? I’m still not sure what I’m going to use as a hatcher. Even with the riser I think the NR is a little too short for the emu to hatch in safely.

Right now the egg weighs 538g before incubation.

DC3B5359-ADF1-40D7-B0CF-2C4F1C793224.jpeg
B4AE3422-3336-4785-8812-237D46AF8771.jpeg

I’m using this spreadsheet I got off of an emu owners Facebook group to keep track of weight. Any suggestions on temp and humidity? Is 97 degrees too high? I have seen different recommended temperatures on different sites.

Attachments

• 5CDDD7A3-C362-4F5B-AE03-19FA889D3E8D.jpeg
    5CDDD7A3-C362-4F5B-AE03-19FA889D3E8D.jpeg
    529.1 KB · Views: 20
I have been incubating the egg for 5 days now and its lost 8 grams, which is in the acceptable range I believe, so hopefully it's viable. My Nurture Right 360 is difficult to keep humidity constant in, so I have just been trying to keep it between 25% and 35% humidity rather than trying to keep it constantly at one humidity percentage.

I have no advice because I've never hatched emu's before, but I'm following out of curiosity 😁

I have an NR360 and to keep humidity up I put a few damp towels in there, and I change them out with clean ones regularly. But you may run into problems with the egg turner if you use a towel.

I have no advice because I've never hatched emu's before, but I'm following out of curiosity 😁

I have an NR360 and to keep humidity up I put a few damp towels in there, and I change them out with clean ones regularly. But you may run into problems with the egg turner if you use a towel.
Thanks, I might try that! From what I have read, humidity with hatching emu eggs is supposed to stay pretty low, around 25-35%. So I just add a little water whenever it gets below 25%, but as soon as I add water it goes up to 35-40%, so I can only add a very small amount at a time.

So far the weight loss seems to be relatively on track. It definitely is fluctuating a bit, but I haven't been weighing it at the same time every day due to being in and out of the house a lot lately. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that something is developing inside, but trying to not get my hopes up too much. I want a baby emu so badly, it's so hard to wait!

Emu Hatching Egg Data.png

The egg is still losing weight at an acceptable rate. It will be 2-3 weeks before I can try any other tests to see if it’s developing.

I ordered 2 more eggs to hedge my bets, and the local breeder said his started laying so I should be able to pick up a couple eggs from him soon.

One of the eggs I ordered arrived on Wednesday and the other is on the way.

I kinda want to get a cabinet incubator like the gqf 1502, but I really shouldn’t spend the money. I’m trying to justify it by saying it’s an investment because emu eggs sell for around $50-$75 and the chicks sell for $200-$250 for standards. Plus if my current emus start laying next year, it’ll be nice to have one.

Current stats on the Emu eggs:
Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 8.43.03 PM.png

Hoping for a baby emu in a month or so :fl

I'm ready for baby emu cuddles again... Here's a pic of when my current emus were babies in January (ignore the mess, they like to drop their kale everywhere and kick their shavings out of their brooder):

66442533463__CF73F093-BC31-45BA-94BD-3EECBBD19F80.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 8.29.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 8.29.40 PM.png
    279.1 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom