Official BYC Poll: How often do you change your chickens' water in hot weather?

How often do you change your chickens' water in hot weather?

• Multiple times a day

Votes: 54 26.7%
  • Once a day

Votes: 75 37.1%
  • Every other day

Votes: 27 13.4%
  • Twice a week

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Once a week

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Only when it looks dirty

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • Whenever the water level is low

Votes: 57 28.2%
  • When I remember

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I have an automatic waterer, so I rarely change it manually

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • I use a water additive to keep it fresh longer, so I change it less frequently

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Keeping our feathered friends hydrated is crucial, especially during the sweltering summer months. As temperatures rise, ensuring your chickens have access to fresh, clean water becomes even more important. We're curious about your routine: how often do you change your chickens' water when the weather heats up?

Also share your practices and see how others in the chicken-keeping community keep their flocks cool and hydrated in the comments section below.

official byc poll.png

Further Reading:
(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)

A very timely poll!

I keep a flock of 29 right now. Of course it can vary depending on losses and additions.

I use multiple open water dishes that hold a gallon each. I dump and refill 2 times a day year round actually. In winter I carry out warm water in the morning and again when I get home from work at 3 pm.
In summer it's easier since I can use the hose.
I scrub the dishes every Saturday to keep the chances of bacteria or slime down.

Of course summer brings treats from the garden of cabbage, swiss chard, cantaloupe, tomatoes, bell peppers and watermelon. It's not a daily treat but they certainly enjoy it.

Last edited:
Check it every day with the egg collection. I have two smaller drinkers I swap each day when its hot. I also have a larger heavier drinker as a backup for really hot weather just in case the small one fails, gets knocked over etc.... the big one goes a week before it looks dirty. They will never drink it all in a week. When it's 40-45 c they won't make it through the day without water. So it's best to have insurance.

Back
Top Bottom