Rescue duckling open mouth breathing and head shaking

tacothechicken

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 2, 2015
Katy TX
Hey guys so I'm in Texas and the other day post a bad storm my dog found what I thought was a dead duckling. It wasn't dead but about to be. Brought it home got it water and food but we have some issues. It perked up a little and was drinking and eating under pressure, but post 5 hrs of work I got home and it's gasping and shaking its head like it swallowed water wrong or something :( it's able to move around now but the gasping is seriously concerning and it been happening for 15+ minutes. Hes just gonna asphyxiate I assume? I'm sure it would've resolved in minutes if it was gonna resolve. Or if it's not choking what could cause this behaviour? It hasn't gone to the bathroom regularly, only passing water, and now it's gasping for air then shaking its head like it's clearing it's nose of something. I doubt it'll make it at this point, but I'm curious as to what it might be suffering from.

Just read about Aspirgillus :( likely that's it. Baby came from a park where people dump and feed ducks constantly around water in a humid area. Baby was probably fed infected bread, got sick and once caught in the rain deteriorated... He has a heat lamp snuggle buddy, food and water for now. I have no way of supplying treatment for him or caring for him long term as would be required. And he is clearly in distress. Gonna let him sleep and hope when he passes it's peaceful.

Hey guys so I'm in Texas and the other day post a bad storm my dog found what I thought was a dead duckling. It wasn't dead but about to be. Brought it home got it water and food but we have some issues. It perked up a little and was drinking and eating under pressure, but post 5 hrs of work I got home and it's gasping and shaking its head like it swallowed water wrong or something :( it's able to move around now but the gasping is seriously concerning and it been happening for 15+ minutes. Hes just gonna asphyxiate I assume? I'm sure it would've resolved in minutes if it was gonna resolve. Or if it's not choking what could cause this behaviour? It hasn't gone to the bathroom regularly, only passing water, and now it's gasping for air then shaking its head like it's clearing it's nose of something. I doubt it'll make it at this point, but I'm curious as to what it might be suffering from.
Just read about Aspirgillus :( likely that's it. Baby came from a park where people dump and feed ducks constantly around water in a humid area. Baby was probably fed infected bread, got sick and once caught in the rain deteriorated... He has a heat lamp snuggle buddy, food and water for now. I have no way of supplying treatment for him or caring for him long term as would be required. And he is clearly in distress. Gonna let him sleep and hope when he passes it's peaceful.

Sorry to hear about your duckling.

How is she doing?

@Isaac 0 still alive. She's not extremely weak anymore but she'll only dabble a bit water wise and barely wants to eat, she's still gasping and head shaking so we're ok for now but I'm betting she'll be deteriating if I can't get her properly eating and drinking soon :( she hasn't eaten all day judging by lack of poops I'm trying to make her eat but she's only downing the feed dust to be honest and doesn't want to drink because I think it irritates her throat.

Current poop sample post trying to get her to eat upon returning home. Note this baby is probably already 3 days old

Attachments

• IMG_20200730_192108238.jpg
    IMG_20200730_192108238.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 15961549549782161505800733633944.jpg
    15961549549782161505800733633944.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 17
Could you post a video of her?

Sounds like she may have something stuck in her throat. Do you by chance have small enough tubing laying around that you could melt down the tip, slowly lower it into her esophagus to dislodge any possible blockages? If not, try running your fingers along her neck and feel any obstructions.

Back
Top Bottom