Strange behavior in juvenile

Isabella Mcadams

Songster
Apr 14, 2021
Hi all,
Some of you may remember, one of my ducks hatched a clutch in mid may, and they’re all turning out really nicely
IMG_0775.jpeg

The other day, as I was looking out through the window, one of the juveniles started flailing around in the ground, wings flapping and everything. I thought maybe a snake or something, so I ran out there, but there was nothing there. Its wings were pinned all the way back, almost touching each other, and its neck was coiling around, twisting and drooping. I thought maybe it was choking, couldn’t swallow something, so I picked it up and massaged it’s neck, but it was breathing just fine, and the heart rate was good.

I held it for about ten minutes, during which it couldn’t hold itself up (I set it down on the ground and it would collapse, and its neck would be completely limp). After I held it for a while, it perked up again, and when it could hold its head up, I set it down and it ran off to join his family, as if nothing had happened.

The ducklings do have the crested gene, and one of the siblings was born with the brain outside of the head, and I wonder if it has anything to do with that. Maybe some sort of neurological problem. I also noticed one of the other ducklings has a strange tremor in on leg, almost like shivering, even if it’s not cold outside. Any insight is appreciated!

Hi all,
Some of you may remember, one of my ducks hatched a clutch in mid may, and they’re all turning out really nicely
View attachment 3480832
The other day, as I was looking out through the window, one of the juveniles started flailing around in the ground, wings flapping and everything. I thought maybe a snake or something, so I ran out there, but there was nothing there. Its wings were pinned all the way back, almost touching each other, and its neck was coiling around, twisting and drooping. I thought maybe it was choking, couldn’t swallow something, so I picked it up and massaged it’s neck, but it was breathing just fine, and the heart rate was good.

I held it for about ten minutes, during which it couldn’t hold itself up (I set it down on the ground and it would collapse, and its neck would be completely limp). After I held it for a while, it perked up again, and when it could hold its head up, I set it down and it ran off to join his family, as if nothing had happened.
It sounds like it was a seizure- is this duck in particular crested?
The ducklings do have the crested gene, and one of the siblings was born with the brain outside of the head, and I wonder if it has anything to do with that. Maybe some sort of neurological problem. I also noticed one of the other ducklings has a strange tremor in on leg, almost like shivering, even if it’s not cold outside. Any insight is appreciated!
The leg shivering could be an early sign of a niacin deficiency, that was one of the first things I noticed when my girl had a deficiency
Even if you supplement niacin, some birds may just need extra while they're growing

That does sound like a seizure. I'd start by adding some B# to their diet. One way is with Nutritional yeast 1 tab per cup of feed. Since you have Large Bread ducks they may need this all their lives. Especially since they have the crested gene. One way to avoid at least Niacin def.
The little one having the seizure should be put on liquid B Complex to see if that will help. Especially with leg trembling So at least 2 need to be on the liquid B complex
This will help explain along with dose and what is available
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Also please give them containers they can wash their faces in. it is very important they clean their eyes and nares out often plus those feeders are for chickens and not for ducks with large bills that have a hard time eating out of them.

Back
Top Bottom