Raising ducklings, Goslings and Turkey poults in same brooder?

Turkey poults are very fragile and need their own brooder. This isn't hard. Get a clear plastic bin at Walmart or etc. The largest one you can find will be most economical. There aren't many birds, but they all grow very fast! Brooder lights are cheap at your hardware store, but you'll have to work out a way to mount them securely. I have cut out a large window in my lids and replaced it with hardware cloth, but you can also just lay a piece of cardboard across the top where the heat lamp is not, if it's not staying warm enough in the brooder. I start with bedding such as pine (not cedar) shavings covered with puppy pads. After a couple days take out the puppy pads and start offering chick grit in case they eat bits of bedding.

Do the same for the ducks and do the same for the geese. When you're done you can clean out the brooders and use them for storage. I make waterers for waterfowl by cutting a hole in a plastic jug at the proper height that the little one can stick its head through to reach the water. You'll have to make new ones as they get taller (which happens very fast).

It will not be long before the turkeys start flying out. I recommend the hardware cloth in the lid for them, if you can. I fastened it with screws and washers but I've heard of people using hot glue. TBH I think the screws are probably easier.

Last edited:
Oh yes... my turkeys get along fine with the waterfowl. They're all good at standing their ground, but the geese are the royalty; the ducks are the courtiers and the turkeys are the upper crust. Poor little chickens are the surfs. Turkey females are often mean to chickens, though the ducks and geese ignore them. (Your mileage may vary of course.)

Oh yes... my turkeys get along fine with the waterfowl. They're all good at standing their ground, but the geese are the royalty; the ducks are the courtiers and the turkeys are the upper crust. Poor little chickens are the surfs. Turkey females are often mean to chickens, though the ducks and geese ignore them. (Your mileage may vary of course.)
My geese run from them haha but if it came down to it they would stand their ground and they protect the ducks. Haha that order is so true though!

When I put my chicks and some ducklings together the ducklings soaked the chicks and one chick got so cold it died:hit. Apparently chicks and ducks aren't supposed to be kept together for that exact reason. However, I believe you could make it work with enough care and supervision, just making sure you know the risks.

Good luck and have a great day!
Ducks non stop in water keep them away from chicks put a board between them, if you only have a small brooder, baby s need to be warm and dry, just not ducks, Turkey and chicks are good, When moved out them they all can be together,

BTW, I got a quad of geese last spring. I say "spring," but that is very generous--purely astronomical. We had our last 17" of heavy wet snow on May 20th. Waterfowl need warmth until they're fully feathered so I had my geese in the garage way too long. In the end I had them in a 6' long stock tank. WAY too small. It was awful.

Back
Top Bottom