One of the best resources I've found on dealing with roosters

This post was not about "sensing devices". So why are you introducing it and then stating this is what everyone should do. Tolerance of others ideas are a way for us to grow as individuals. Saying they are extreme is a way to isolate and exclude.
I mentioned the sensing technology and it was glossed over, so I repeated it. So what do you think about it as a solution? It is the only solution I’ve heard of that could realistically prevent the killing of millions of chicks. This is a win/win right?

My responses are much more nuanced than it seems you understood. I’m open to solutions and other perspectives, but they are ideas worth debate and I have offered my perspective on the debate… that’s what forums are for. For a person wishing to save a high value rooster, there are some interesting suggestion in there, it’s when they try and suggest that those solutions can and should be pushed across the board by entire municipalities, that’s where they lose me.

decided to put away Notions of grunting and responding to the name of Grog
🤣
A fly has a minuscule brain but it's capable of abrupt Changes in Attitude and direction that would cause a human aerobatic pilot with a much larger brain to black out.
Amazing creatures critters are!

Dominance and uncle Grog aside, it seems that animals are honestly striving for balance in an imbalanced world; while humans choose to dishonestly strive for balance in an imbalanced world. The commonalities are striving and imbalance, sadly, not always the honesty.

Uncle Grog may grunt in disapproval, but it doesn't change the fact that my rooster is easier to hang out with than him 🙃

Every one here loves roosters. We would not be posting on this forum if we did not love roosters. This is reality. Millions of roosters are killed every year and we can't rescue them all. If I save the "naturally" docile roosters, and cull the mean ones, I can keep many more roosters, than if I have to spend all my energy "training" a mean rooster.
To each their own. However, my point is...every rooster has the capability of being what you call "mean" - they are protectors - this is their job. Likewise, every dog has the capability of being "mean", because they are protectors as well. If one learns to see through their eyes, the "meanest" you state can be avoided.

I mentioned the sensing technology and it was glossed over, so I repeated it. So what do you think about it as a solution? It is the only solution I’ve heard of that could realistically prevent the killing of millions of chicks. This is a win/win right?

My responses are much more nuanced than it seems you understood. I’m open to solutions and other perspectives, but they are ideas worth debate and I have offered my perspective on the debate… that’s what forums are for. For a person wishing to save a high value rooster, there are some interesting suggestion in there, it’s when they try and suggest that those solutions can and should be pushed across the board by entire municipalities, that’s where they lose me.
I agree that we need a solution. Germany and France are way ahead of us. https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ves-to-end-the-killing-of-day-old-male-chicks. Regarding this post @bayareapilot was trying to give us techniques to help us have better relationships with our roosters. I feel like he was attacked for this....

To each their own. However, my point is...every rooster has the capability of being what you call "mean" - they are protectors - this is their job. Likewise, every dog has the capability of being "mean", because they are protectors as well. If one learns to see through their eyes, the "meanest" you state can be avoided.

Very wise words, Tricia. Thanks for sticking up for roosters in your comments - very few do.

When considering the articles posted here that are empathetic to roosters, these articles are clearly written for people who WANT to make things work with their roosters.

So many people commenting on this thread have zero desire to make things work with their roosters - they'd rather just kill them. And if you're raising chickens for food or planning on killing some of your roosters no matter what, it makes sense that you'd kill the ones who are challenging you. That's what I would do in your position.

I think what the rest of us find so frustrating though is that a lot of people with that view seem to think that all the rest of us need to kill our roosters too, even though we don't want to, and they shame and ridicule people who look for or try other solutions.

I've personally never met an aggressive rooster I couldn't train with techniques like the ones in these articles. It's really not that hard when you understand rooster behavior and gain a little experience working with them.

And of course, different roosters have different genetics and every rooster you work with will be different than the one before - same with dogs. Training my shepherd was infinitely easier than training my maltese, but I got them both trained. Sure, I had to modify what I was doing with the maltese a bit, try different things - so it goes with roosters too.

When you approach working with roosters with the attitude of "I'm going to find something that works, and I'll keep trying," rather than an attitude of "Some roosters are just born bad," you actually do tend to find a solution that works. Like I said, I've never found a rooster I couldn't train. Someone here mentioned Rhode Island Reds - I had an ultra-aggressive one and guess what? Now he's a lap chicken! It's amazing what treats and a little empathy can do.

If you are a person who doesn't want to take the time or effort to work with a rooster, then don't, but please stop shaming and discouraging everybody else who does want to take the time and the effort. These techniques are proven and I know many other people who have also had success with them. So if people who love their roosters want to try to improve their relationships with them, why not just say, "Good luck!"

Last thing - if anyone at all is interested in working with roosters, check out the non-profit Roovolution. They have a great YouTube channel and podcast. They show how to work with problem roosters using only kind methods. They also will help people one-on-one who are having problems with their roosters. You can schedule a consultation with them on their website for free.

I definitely don’t have an answer for the world’s hunger. Maybe educating people on raising their own food?

You are correct! Can’t really do anything in an apartment. And they are building them here in austin at lightning speed. Maybe the answer is to educate people on housing as well.
The problem with educating people on raising their own food or on housing is that the vast majority of North America, and even the world, has no choice. Most people cannot afford to live on even a 1/4 of an acre of land, and in many cases the government or bank is the one forcing people out of their houses. In the US in some States, it is near impossible to get government assistance to live because they're deliberately trying to keep the numbers from welfare low on paper - welfare assistance is a joke. If you live in the city, depending on the condo or apartment you live in you're not even allowed to have plants on the balcony/patio. In other countries they deal with corrupt governments, war and terrorism, lack of water, gasoline, and electricity.
The sad reality is that for most people, good living conditions and good food are pipe dreams.

As a long time chicken keeper who does love roosters but also recognizes there really are bad ones I can only say what I have observed for myself. (and yeah I've had a LOT of roosters)
I've had several good roosters, one great rooster and a couple that were .... not worth stewing.
My avatar was a really good rooster I hand raised.
Nature dealt chickens a bad hand for domestication. Chicken genetics are skewed against roosters They are programed to be aggressive, loud and wild and we never really tried to fix that until this last 100 years. Heck we exploited it. Also unfortunately, they are set up percentage wise to be the standard mammalian 50/50.
My worst rooster was a purebred Orpington, good bloodlines, hand raised from an egg, he was carefully gentled, handled from hatching, treated with great kindness, never abused, never improperly challenged by humans or other roosters and he was pure psychopath. I found him attempting to kill my best hen. Barely saved her life. She was docile, sweet and productive. In no way did she challenge the little bastage. He just felt like killing something.

My best boy was a random mutt, grabbed out of a large flock of wildish chickens solely because he was the only one nearby and gifted to me by a frazzled friend who said "I got way too many, you need a roo? Want this one?". Best bird I ever owned.
Raising them right? Naw. Proper handling? Naw. Genetics? Maybe. Luck? Heck yes!

Back
Top Bottom