Over-mating rooster

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
I FINALLY after many roosters have gotten an angel of a rooster. Barely ever crows, loves snuggles, not aggressive with humans in any way. No chasing, nothing.
But there is a problem.
He is nasty with the hens.

He doesn’t bite or anything for dominance, but he cannot stop mating. It’s a huge problem because he freaks out whenever the ladies (specifically his favorite) are gone for even a second. His favorite is slightly bigger then a standard chicken and he is a about half her size. She has already submitted to him now but it obviously doesn’t work due to the size. He gets frustrated and won’t stop harassing the poor girl and constantly is mating her and she is terrified. I feel so bad.
He also mates the others to but the worst is on her.

How can i fix this problem? I can’t get rid of him because i love the dude. I need some advice. Thank you!

I FINALLY after many roosters have gotten an angel of a rooster. Barely ever crows, loves snuggles, not aggressive with humans in any way. No chasing, nothing.
But there is a problem.
He is nasty with the hens.

He doesn’t bite or anything for dominance, but he cannot stop mating. It’s a huge problem because he freaks out whenever the ladies (specifically his favorite) are gone for even a second. His favorite is slightly bigger then a standard chicken and he is a about half her size. She has already submitted to him now but it obviously doesn’t work due to the size. He gets frustrated and won’t stop harassing the poor girl and constantly is mating her and she is terrified. I feel so bad.
He also mates the others to but the worst is on her.

How can i fix this problem? I can’t get rid of him because i love the dude. I need some advice. Thank you!
Em…. Separate them?

Em…. Separate them?
Not really an option. He freaks out whenever separated and will not stop crowing and paces back and fourth.

If people think he will calm down and this won’t make anything worse, i can give it a shot and ride through the crowing. Maybe no contact but a divider that he can still see and hear her would work? No clue.

Not really an option. He freaks out whenever separated and will not stop crowing and paces back and fourth.

If people think he will calm down and this won’t make anything worse, i can give it a shot and ride through the crowing. Maybe no contact but a divider that he can still see and hear her would work? No clue.
I’m at a loss honestly…

Separate them so they can see each other but he can't mate with her. What is your rooster to hen ratio? It may be that he is overmating because he doesn't have enough hens.
He has four hens with him as of now and two he can mate.
In a few days, he will have his other girl and four chicks
So soon he will have seven he can mate.

Good idea, hardware cloth dividing a area of the coop? I’m thinking it might be a good idea to seperate the ones he can mate with him and separate the others. Would that work?

at a year, I think this is the rooster you are going to get. You could try separating the victim by giving her away - seeing if that helps, but to me, the obvious choice is culling the rooster. It really isn't nice to let him terrorize her, and I am betting he is upsetting the rest of the hens too.

Back
Top Bottom