Over-mating rooster

He has four hens with him as of now and two he can mate.
In a few days, he will have his other girl and four chicks
So soon he will have seven he can mate.

Good idea, hardware cloth dividing a area of the coop? I’m thinking it might be a good idea to seperate the ones he can mate with him and separate the others. Would that work?
Yes, that would work fine, I think. Separate the coop with the chicken wire and that way he can't mate, but the pecking order won't be seriously disrupted if you put them back together.

Four hens is really not enough for an active, small breed rooster, and that is probably at least part of the problem. Ten is about right. But I think giving the hens breaks from him will help a lot.

Yes, that would work fine, I think. Separate the coop with the chicken wire and that way he can't mate, but the pecking order won't be seriously disrupted if you put them back together.

Four hens is really not enough for an active, small breed rooster, and that is probably at least part of the problem. Ten is about right. But I think giving the hens breaks from him will help a lot.
Okay, thanks.
I will try this! Will seven that he can mate (all his breed and size) be okay for him?

at a year, I think this is the rooster you are going to get. You could try separating the victim by giving her away - seeing if that helps, but to me, the obvious choice is culling the rooster. It really isn't nice to let him terrorize her, and I am betting he is upsetting the rest of the hens too.
When i do that he freaks out and freaks out even more, non stop mating when i put her back in.
That‘s unfortunate, if worst comes to worst he might just have to be a indoor rooster. I am fond of his personality towards humans, just not so much towards other chickens.

My rooster did the same thing to one of my old hens, he ended up being separated for around 6 months (for different reasons) and he was just recently returned to the flock. He is nearing 2 years old and is much more mature. He is still a typical rooster but isn't bat-shit crazy over the hens anymore. I'll admit he crowed a lot more when separated, so you're not wrong about that.
You can separate him in a way that still allows him to see the flock. This will either bring him peace of mind or it'll frustrate him.
You can also separate him in a way that doesn't allow him to see the flock. This will either make him "forget" about the hens or he'll be agitated.
I've tried both methods with my roosters and it really depended on the individual rooster as to which brought them comfort. My rooster Dexter preferred to see the hens, and this let him continue living a normal chicken life. My rooster Flynn couldn't accept the fact that the hens were in sight but not withing reach. He lived more comfortably without seeing them.
Up to you! You just need to separate him, he could kill the hen if he keeps going like this. Once he matures I bet you can return him to the flock. Young roosters are just too energetic 🤷‍♂️

My rooster did the same thing to one of my old hens, he ended up being separated for around 6 months (for different reasons) and he was just recently returned to the flock. He is nearing 2 years old and is much more mature. He is still a typical rooster but isn't bat-shit crazy over the hens anymore. I'll admit he crowed a lot more when separated, so you're not wrong about that.
You can separate him in a way that still allows him to see the flock. This will either bring him peace of mind or it'll frustrate him.
You can also separate him in a way that doesn't allow him to see the flock. This will either make him "forget" about the hens or he'll be agitated.
I've tried both methods with my roosters and it really depended on the individual rooster as to which brought them comfort. My rooster Dexter preferred to see the hens, and this let him continue living a normal chicken life. My rooster Flynn couldn't accept the fact that the hens were in sight but not withing reach. He lived more comfortably without seeing them.
Up to you! You just need to separate him, he could kill the hen if he keeps going like this. Once he matures I bet you can return him to the flock. Young roosters are just too energetic 🤷‍♂️
I recently had to make my 2 cockerels jailbirds because they would double tap the hens over jealousy. Thanks for the insight. They might get released next year, at this rate. They are only 8 months old, and have raging hormones. They are also quite clumsy when mounting, half the time not successful, and not very gentlemanly, tidbitting, and the sneak attack while the girl was eating.

I have the same problem going on, I think. Except I have 8 hens, 5 adults and three almost 4 months old. It was supposed to be 4 young ones, but one turned out to be a rooster. I already have a slightly older rooster and he seems to do fine around every girl but Georgia. Georgia is a buckeye and I have few different breeds of hens. Rock my barred is staying for sure. But Roisin my Americana had gotta go. I have watched them both chase Georgia across the yard. Rock less than Roisin and he is rough with Georgia. For the moment I have Georgia in chicken jail for her protection and she seems fine when she is there. I took her out long enough to walk her across the yard for the night and Roisin hopped out of the tree to try and get her. Rock was there too, but my dog interrupted anything from happening. Is there any reason why she would be so popular? Sophia and Dorothy are Rhode Island Blue. Sorcha and Saoirse are red Sex link. Mira is Americana. Wiley is a barred rock, Gemma is a Blue Andalusian, and Georgia is a buckeye. Sorcha and Saoirse are reddish and Georgia is an orange color. Everyone else are shades of black and grey. I just want to see if anyone has any suggestions. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom