One of the best resources I've found on dealing with roosters

They most certainly are made. Breeding fighting cocks and dogs for bad temperament has been around a long time. When European honey bees and African honey bees were crossed they ended up with an incredibly defensive honey bee. Breeding is everything.
Well I have an advantage over you that most don't; I've worked with a number of people who have worked as rehabilitators at private independent shelters for some of these dogs that are rescued from The Barbarians that do such things. Some are so far gone by the mistreatment they receive there's nothing they can do and the poor creatures are euthanized which means murdered of course, but some they can help and although you certainly can have an animal that is higher on the aggressive scale those tendencies are magnified by the sort of people that do the dog fighting. They so seriously abuse the animals so it will attack. Frankly it's one of those crimes where I think the punishment should be immediate execution by hanging. The real problem with your kind of thinking is that's where we end up with the people with the white hoods and burning crosses. They make the mistake that correlation is causation. For instance according to the Bureau of crime statistics nearly 60% of violent crimes are committed by African Americans and yet they only make 13% of the population. Using ONLY correlation one might come to the erroneous conclusion that being of such a race makes a person violent. But that simply isn't so. Socialization both in people and animals affects the directions they take. Whether it be a dog or cat or a human being of various hues it's socialization at the root cause not what skin or fur coat that they happen to inhabit.

They most certainly are made. Breeding fighting cocks and dogs for bad temperament has been around a long time. When European honey bees and African honey bees were crossed they ended up with an incredibly defensive honey bee. Breeding is everything.
Not a bad example, but fighting breeds were bred to have their aggression pointed towards another male individual.(Chickens)
Man Fighters are undesirable, Gamefowl, or your average Barnyard chicken.

I would argue that if one has been flogged from behind, they have already made a very crucial error already. I always know the position of the rooster to me and I never place myself in a position where I don't know his position. Additionally I don't go into the run with shorts any more than I stick my hand in a bear's cage at a zoo and wonder why I get bit.:)

In aviation we have something call ADM. Stands for aeronautical decision making. It basically involves identifying risk assessing risk and creating a plan to deal with it. Kind of like you do with anything you approach in life or at least you should. Dealing with the roosters no different. I'm not saying that 100% are redeemable, just that the percentage is a lot higher than most people would be led to believe.

Here's what I know my rooster started out quite a bit questionable on the assertiveness scale to put it mildly. However I followed the trust but verify methods of sites like the one I cited and it worked.
What if I told you that you don't have to live like that. I have an asil rooster who will keep his distance unless I squat and hold out my hand, and then he will approach and let me pick him up. I never have to watch my back. He has never flogged anyone, and tolerates small kids who pull his tail. I did not train this behavior, he is just a gentle guy.

Rooster behavior can be a product of his environment, in that you can condition him to feel positive toward handling, noises, people, and so on. IMO the biggest difference between mean roosters and nice roosters is if they can tell the difference between humans/predators/roosters. That part is imprinted at birth and I don't think it can be undone.

IMO the biggest difference between mean roosters and nice roosters is if they can tell the difference between humans/predators/roosters. That part is imprinted at birth and I don't think it can be undone.
Every single aggressive rooster I've ever encountered was human imprinted, and every broody raised rooster I've had has been a perfect gentleman

Anyway hope some others find it helpful that may not be aware of the link.
thanks, I didn't know it, and find most of it consistent with my experience (currently 2 mature roos, 1 retired old roo, and 3 young roos, all living together in one mixed flock of 25).

Let me link to one that you might not know, but which is conducive to your approach, and written by someone with deep experience of normal (as opposed to rescued) roos: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

Back
Top Bottom