new guy question

Threex

Hatching
12 Years
13 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Hey all, almost done construction of the coop and was wondering what feeder and waterer i should use for three 17 week old pullets. I was looking to get something big enough in case we go away for a few days, any suggestions would be appreciated! Also looking for what type/how thick of plastic i should use to cover the sides of the coop during cold weather? Im a little concerned because winters here can vary quite a bit (southern Jersey) My coop design is 8'long 6'wide 6'high, the roosting/nesting area is approx. 6'wide 3'high 3'deep.
smile.png

Nice size coop for just 3. My guess is you'll be getting more right?
wink.png

Can we see a pic of coop? I'm new to this also, so I am waiting to hear what others will give ya for advice.

For water, I have a galvanized water 2qt. We have less than 20 birds and filled it lasts them about 2 days. Although they drink it quicker in hot weather.

We have a large trough feeder for feed now, but since we're going to b seperating by breed soon, I'll be buying the smaller plastic or galvanized feeders for each individual cage!

I don't use the galvanized for water because I sometimes put vinegar in their water to help with the occasional congestion problems and you can't put vinegar in a metal waterer without causing problems. I use a kitty litter pan outside in the run. But I use a galvanized hanging feeder in the coop. I'm not sure what size it is but it holds quite a bit. I imagine it would easily keep 3 birds for a week.

Threex, for three birds little giant sells a nice one gallon waterer that would work well for you. They are inexpensive, so you could buy two and when weather is cold and the water freezes you can replace one with the other. They are plastic.

I think asher meant 2 gallon galvanized for her birds, 2 qts isn't much.

bigzio

I use the one gallon plastic waterers also. The other plus that I noticed about the plastic is that they are not as quick to freeze in cold weather. We're in the 20's here this morning, when I checked the water it was trying to freeze but it wasn't solid like when I still used the metal type.

Even though I could use the larger waterers I chose the smaller ones for ease of moving and cleaning. During the summer I set up the extras I have for switching out in the winter.

Like any waterer they should be set up at least 8 inches to keep the birds from soiling them with litter. I use concrete blocks for most of mine which so far is high enough to prevent the birds from getting bedding in them when they get to scratching and digging.

im making that playhouse coop design, but building it a little larger than the plans call for. I'd want more room inside if i was a chicken!

Most of my coops have auto waterers and 25 lb hanging metal feeders. I use quart size plastic waterers if I have to medicate or keep birds in smaller cages.
Oh and Hey! Welcome ThreeX!
chel

Back
Top Bottom