Poopy butt or infection?

CarlaCo

Songster
Aug 29, 2022
Johnson City, NY (Town of Maine, NY)
Hi all. One of our 5 girls has had diarrhea on and off and a poopy butt. I finally help in holding her while I clipped away as much as I could and asked a bit. We have no experience with this. She even squirted some right out as we worked. Yuck! I did not see any bugs or mites. But as you can see she is red below and red in the vent too somewhat.

One more note, I feed them a cup of fermented crumble daily. I haven’t noticed if she hogs it or anything. They also get a cup of scratch and a good handful of mealy worms in the morning. I noticed that the morning after missing a ferment and scratch, there is less or no diarrhea on the poop board.
Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2013.jpeg
    IMG_2013.jpeg
    475 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2012.jpeg
    IMG_2012.jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2011.jpeg
    IMG_2011.jpeg
    475.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2010.jpeg
    IMG_2010.jpeg
    423.5 KB · Views: 10
I noticed that the morning after missing a ferment and scratch, there is less or no diarrhea on the poop board.

I don't really see anything that concerning about the vent. Some hens can be messier than others. Diet affects the consistency of the poop. If you noticed less or no loose poops when feeding dry (I assume that's what was meant), then perhaps omit the fermented feed all together and limit the scratch to 1-2 times a week, see if things improve.

Great. That’s what I was thinking. They did not get the ferment yesterday but there were still a couple wet type poops on the board. I’ll see tomorrow.
Was thinking how I could get her some probiotics or whether I should just give it to them all.

Great. That’s what I was thinking. They did not get the ferment yesterday but there were still a couple wet type poops on the board. I’ll see tomorrow.
Was thinking how I could get her some probiotics or whether I should just give it to them all.
It wouldn't hurt to give all of them probiotics.

You can use purchased probiotics or some just give a small amount of quality plain yogurt for a few days (as a treat). For yogurt, about 1 Tablespoon per hen is enough.

Th
It wouldn't hurt to give all of them probiotics.

You can use purchased probiotics or some just give a small amount of quality plain yogurt for a few days (as a treat). For yogurt, about 1 Tablespoon per hen is enough.
Thanks for being specific! I need that. I have some of the powder probiotic stuff I bought when they were chicks but did not want to add to the water. Could that be added to yogurt? Also would yogurt increase the diarrhea?

Th

Thanks for being specific! I need that. I have some of the powder probiotic stuff I bought when they were chicks but did not want to add to the water. Could that be added to yogurt? Also would yogurt increase the diarrhea?
Choose one, either the one that goes in the water or the yogurt.
Possible too much yogurt would cause some loose poop.

Post photos of what you see as diarrhea.

I will. I was wrong about the ferment, on the second day without she had watery stools again. I’m giving the probiotic in the ferment skipping days now and then but so far, she still “wets” the PDZ. Her butt looks a little cleaner since we clipped her feathers but haven’t caught her again to see if the red skin is gone.
I purchased the Providone but haven’t used yet. My daughter is visiting this week and the whole family descends as she is is only home one week a year. So getting ready for that and this week she’ll be here. I’ll try to get pics soon, I’m just overwhelmed with work right now.

Back
Top Bottom