Muscovies?????

Muscovies are great birds. Usually you don't even notice their tumor heads, after you fall for their personalities and colors! You can find some that aren't as genetically programmed for huge caruncles. Hens have such delicate features/mannerisms.

Thanks. I love them
love.gif

I guess I was being to picky but I just didn't understand why people liked the breeds, any duck can be playful depending on how you raise it. and when said boring I didn't mean personality I was kinda referring to the Pekins plain color. I do kind of like pekins but they are to large a breed for where I live. I have A welsh harlequin and I am trying to figure out what it is!! when I vent sexed multiple times it appeared to be a female (its still young so hard to tell with the feathers) when it was days old its bill was dark so I thought it was a male but it has only gotten darker not lighter like a male should. its feathers on its chest look rusty like a male....etc... can you see my dilemma? anyway off topic. I guess I'm just upset because I can't ANY breeds but pekins scovies and rouens, but I'm looking for pets not meat so..... oh well I guess I have to order from a stinking expensive hatchery....grrrr

We are fortunate enough to have been honored with the arrival of this family. First we just found Duke wondering around our pond a couple of weeks ago. Had no idea he had a mate somewhere hiding. He is very friendly and enjoys a handful of chicken food now and then. Then a couple of days ago we find his mate paddling around the pond with 10 peeps. What a wonderful surprise. Now I am on a "hunt" to find out as much as I can about these wonderful birds. We would like to make them comfortable enough to hang our year round. We live in middle TN so I think the winters will be mile enough. If any one knows of helpful websites for me to learn more please share. Oh, life is good.
thumbsup.gif

Well i own 6 muscovies and 1 pekin and to me the muscovies r the best. They are quiet and r gr8 mothers. HTey do not have "worts" on there face it is called coricles and it is skin to protect there face and was origanlly black for comafluage. Also blue, and black variety muscovies are very pretty and they are very smart. I trieaned mine to come on comand and walk right into there pen. They are the only breed of duck not related to mallards and they win lots of shows. The national poultry show with 11,000 birds was won by a black muscovy drake plus my male wins bes waterfowl agianst lots of other birds in shows with birds of upto 3,000.

Well i own 6 muscovies and 1 pekin and to me the muscovies r the best. They are quiet and r gr8 mothers. HTey do not have "worts" on there face it is called coricles and it is skin to protect there face and was origanlly black for comafluage. Also blue, and black variety muscovies are very pretty and they are very smart. I trieaned mine to come on comand and walk right into there pen. They are the only breed of duck not related to mallards and they win lots of shows. The national poultry show with 11,000 birds was won by a black muscovy drake plus my male wins bes waterfowl agianst lots of other birds in shows with birds of upto 3,000.
Well Congratulations zach, and
welcome-byc.gif
would love to see some pics of your Scovies we even have a Thread just for that purpose.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/130753/muscovy-keepers-share-your-pics/2340#post_9217242

Last edited:
We have 5 Pekin ducks on our pond and they take the prettiest photos and make the icky pond photos look lovely but ours on the
Pond are not very good mothers, I think it is due because we have TOO many males on the pond.
This is just two of them hanging out in the winter chilling on the pond. The babies are the cutest things I ever saw!
As most has probably seen my fav Zoe below. We have Muscovy mixed with mallard and I use to think they were not so cute but the first week we moved into out home mom followed my husband around everywhere and soon we grew much attached to them. Awesome moms! Like with humans
Looks don't really mean good and wonderful friends

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom