Peacock lost train early?

Casperhem

Hatching
May 20, 2024
My male peacock grew his full train by January this year. However, he began losing it a little less than 2 months ago. As of today, 5/20, he only has one train feather remaining. From what I understand, that is wayyy too early for him to lose his train.

He had a red light on in his coop for winter 24/7 which I'm suspecting to be a probable cause. We gave him two girlfriends 1 month ago, so it's a shame that he's already 'bald'. The females are 2 and 3 years old respectively. We have no idea of the male's age- he has not tried to shimmy for the girls at all.

(We initially found him in bad shape by the side of the road where I live out in the country. He'd apparently been wandering the area for 2 weeks and nobody had claimed him so we rescued him. This was last year.)

Took him to the vet last month and he got a clean bill of health. Fecal was negative.

Any thoughts on why he dropped his train so early? I had no expectations this year, but would love to consider breeding next year if the new hens are up to it.

@Midnightman14 @KsKingBee @sourland
Thank you everyone! I'm relieved to have a few second opinions that concur with my initial suspicion. I'm used to indoor parrots, so while birds in general aren't new to me, outdoor fowl are. He has started to shimmy for his girls, though he only has one crooked train feather left. Poor guy, ha.

Screenshot_20240527-185924_Photos.jpg

@Midnightman14 @KsKingBee @sourland
Thank you everyone! I'm relieved to have a few second opinions that concur with my initial suspicion. I'm used to indoor parrots, so while birds in general aren't new to me, outdoor fowl are. He has started to shimmy for his girls, though he only has one crooked train feather left. Poor guy, ha.

View attachment 3848290
Sometime around October you should pull any remaining train feathers so he grows an even full length train this winter. And no lights...

Back
Top Bottom