Muscovies?????

iluvsedward

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 19, 2010
Calvert County MD
Ok so I have noticed that a lot of ads on craigslist and a lot of people have muscovies. here the problem (with me :p) is I (no offense) think they are really ugly. They have warts, they have ugly colors and they are big, why do people like these ducks? Is it because they are quiet? are they good layers? I have also noticed a lot of people with Pekins too, but why do people like these huge boring breeds?? I cant find any pretty ducks anywhere :(

Well they don't have warts they have caruncles. I personally think Muscovies are beautiful creatures. They're friendly, calm, and one of the best mothers I have ever seen.

The red fleshy parts are more prominent on drakes than ducks. I like them because they are a hardy, generally quiet duck... they forage well, excellent bug catches and aren't delicate or high maintenance, mine all free range daily and are locked up at night.

Of coarse not every breed is going to be liked by everyone and it also depends on what your wanting from ducks. I certainly think the breed has many good qualities that is why i own them.

Last edited:
Here are some photos to show some of the variety of muscovy. The black ducks have a beautiful green iridescent sheen mine also have some blue and purple iridescent as well as the green. Super friendly, egg layers, great mothers.

Lovely flock you have there!
thumbsup.gif

We have 5 Pekin ducks on our pond and they take the prettiest photos and make the icky pond photos look lovely but ours on the
Pond are not very good mothers, I think it is due because we have TOO many males on the pond.
This is just two of them hanging out in the winter chilling on the pond. The babies are the cutest things I ever saw!
As most has probably seen my fav Zoe below. We have Muscovy mixed with mallard and I use to think they were not so cute but the first week we moved into out home mom followed my husband around everywhere and soon we grew much attached to them. Awesome moms! Like with humans
Looks don't really mean good and wonderful friends

Last edited:
Neither are boring I've had both Pekins and Muscovies, I had a pekin that would play fetch, he would acctually chase the ball and roll it back to me with his beak. its true that muscovies do act like dogs theyll follow you around and beg for treats and are full of personality. very lovable birds. Anyways you cant really say anything about the breeds until you have had the privilege of raising one.
jumpy.gif

I have 2 Rouen Ducks that are pets and I love them. They have so much personality. My duck is a little noisy and can be moody sometimes. But my drake (Winston) is a suck, hes very quiet and loves to be pet and handled (which is odd for any duck).... and I think their colours are beautiful..... My drake is just starting to get his bright green head, and he has a gorgeous metallic blue on his wings!.....
I think you see a lot of Pekins because the make the best house duck (If that's what your looking for)....and Muscovy's are master bug hunters, sit near a couple muscovys and you won't be bothered by any misquittos. A lot of ppl get them for their farms to keep the bugs in check... Every breed has its special ability.... Some breeds do better as pets then others, you can't just pick on looks, especially if your looking for a pet!.... Do lots of research!

Ok so I have noticed that a lot of ads on craigslist and a lot of people have muscovies. here the problem (with me :p) is I (no offense) think they are really ugly. They have warts, they have ugly colors and they are big, why do people like these ducks? Is it because they are quiet? are they good layers? I have also noticed a lot of people with Pekins too, but why do people like these huge boring breeds?? I cant find any pretty ducks anywhere :(

Eh, some people like those breeds, some don't. I personally love muscovies and Pekins. I want a couple of each very badly, but I also want everything! lol.

Have you ever seen Welsh Harlequins in your area? These are a stunning breed!! I have 4 adults, and 5 babies. Love this breed. Very friendly, beautiful, great layers, and good broodies from what I hear!

Back
Top Bottom