Lost and Found

BeckyLa, could you post a full size picture of your icon? I think it's really cute and would like to put it with my cute collection.

Quote:
I'll go out to give them water, thanks for making that point....they're still here, we got home about 1/2 hr ago...I set the 'coop' back up because they were huddled up in that area......

I'm now planning to box them up and bring them 'home' tomorrow night if the owners don't show.....

Quote:
Honestly.....I'd be happy to have these guys along with the ones we plan to get.......I'd build them a permanent area of their own, seperate from the 'new' birds if it turns out they stay with us....but the owners made a point they wanted them back....at this time I sense a lack of effort on their part to make that happen....but I need to feel I made an effort...as time goes on if they come back I'll offer them cash for the birds and make them a nice home....

How much ya think 4 Hens and a Rooster would be valued at if/when that times comes?....

Sounds like you've found yourself a great new flock! I kind of hope the owners don't show up, but then again either way, you've taught your children some very good stewardship lessons!

A couple of things to address your questions about what to feed and how to house....

1. A draft free coop is very important, but it still needs good ventilations
2. The probable frostbite on the roosters comb: don't be surprised if a piece of the comb (the black part) shrivels up and eventually drops off-- this is the normal progression for advanced frostbite. Keep an eye on it for signs of infection just in case. In extreme cold weather where there might be a chance of more frostbite, you can put some vaseline on the comb--don't rub it in to the "black Part"...rubbing that part will just make it worse
3. Adding some vitamins to the water might be good to help their immune systems...some people use avia charge 2000, or an electrolite made for birds both of which are very good, however, I just put a cut up clove of garlic in their water. Garlic is a natural antibiotic, keeps the water from getting slimy, boosts the immune system, and makes your coop smell like pizza!
4. Get some good chicken feed--since they freerange, be prepared that they might not eat too much of it-so if your local feed store allows you to buy feed in smaller than 50LBS bags do so. Feed nutrients do break down, so you'll want to make sure it's used up within a couple of weeks if possible.
5. Put a golf ball in a nest box....this will act as a fake egg and with any luck, those hens will start laying in your coop instead of in the neighborhood!

Good luck, ENJOY, and have fun with your "new found family"
Sandra

Personally, I would not box them up and bring them home. Obviously they don't mean enough to them for them to stop for the few minutes it would take them to recover them from your house. I'd just keep them at my place and if they try to come get them, I'd submit a bill for the feed/water/care I had been providing them (hoping it would make them reconsider and let me keep them!
wink.png
).

They do not sound like good pet owners to me *at all* and definitely not someone that cares about their chickens. We would be worried sick chasing down our chooks if any got loose and if someone called to say they found them, I'd likely be down shortly with a fresh cake or pie to thank you for taking care of them until you got hold of me!!!

Those birds chose you. Don't box them up and take them back, tell the *people that your family has grown attached and you want to buy them.
I don't know what a fair price would be, there are more experienced people on this forum that can give you an answer to that one.
If they wandered away that far from their home, then they weren't wanted/appreciated/cared for.
Hope they stay with you and yours!
smile.png

Last edited:
We just got home from being out for the evening and because the gate has been open two of the five are now seperated from the other three.....and they are all wedged deep under bushes (out of my reach)......

It's the coldest night of the year here and the real feel temp is said to be going to between 10 and 20 below...

I hope the birds make it through the night....I had planned to build them a temporary coop out of hay bails which would have kept them warm but I was told by the owners (two of them) they wanted them back and were coming back to get them....so I didn't build the coop thinking they were accounted for and would be brought home....

I really can't feel anything but disgust at this point....if they were mine I would have been happy to find them safe...instead we got no thanks (which is not why I did it but the lack of thanks sends me a message about the owners) when I explained they had been crossing the main road and they were hungry, thirsty, and living under one of our bushes....then the first full day my wife was home I had the time and freedom (we have two small kids and a 11 month old) to locate the owner(s) of the chickens which I did thinking I had done the right thing (finding their real home)......

The rooster allready has frostbite and is not comfortable with me enough for me to put anything on the rest of his comb....it's sure to get worse in this weather....

I don't know what else to say....but I'm not very happy....the chickens really aren't getting any better care here at the moment....all the owners have done is put the birds in the same position here by taking home their favorite (apparently) and leading us on about the rest so that I haven't properly cared for them either the past few days..........................

Last edited:
You can't possibly be expected to take care of their animals until the they feel like picking them up. As some point the chickens should be considered as yours. You shouldn't be expected to deliver them as well, since the owners know where they are.

Why don't you call Animal Control and see what the legality is for a time frame? Or hand them over to Animal Control. I would assume they would have a claim time frame, after that, you could re-claim them and they would be legally yours. Hint; If they are too lazy to pick them up at your place (that they drive by everyday), they certainly won't go to Animal Control to pick them up.

Back
Top Bottom