Lost and Found

Mr.Dad

Songster
12 Years
Feb 2, 2007
North Jersey
In a way this is a strange story...for me anyway....

I've been talking about getting chickens for the past couple years but we've been busy with a few life changes....two of our kids are now old enough (5 and 6) to enjoy the hobby so we decided this Spring we'd start....

About two weeks ago my daughter and I heard a Rooster crow....we both said how it reminds us of Key West and that it was good sound to hear.....

The next day or so (again at the bus stop) a Rooster and Hen walk up to us seemed very friendly...we live in bear country and I told my daughter it was a good thing it was now a cold Winter because bears near us like chickens....we both talked about how we hope the owner finds them....

This went on for two weeks and now included 5 hens and the rooster....we started to feed them oatmeal and give them water because they seemed very hungry and thirsty....then we went and bought scratch and pellets because more time went on and I noticed they had been sleeping under a large bush on the side of our house.....

I lured them into my fenced back yard and built a temporary coop out of several pieces of scrap wood and a tarp...tonight they are finally using it rather than a bush because it's snowing.....

I've been letting them roam during the day incase their owner is driving around looking for them but I'm feeling like that is not happening....they roam about to peoples yards and then come back....I'm getting to the point where I don't want one to get run over or grabbed by a dog so I think I'll just keep them fenced up......

I've talked to most neighbors and nobody knows where they may have come from.....

The Rooster seems to have frost bite on his crown ( I did a web search today, he has a black area)...and a couple seem to have tiny black spots on thier crowns....otherwise they are friendly and getting warmed up to us.....

My kids are getting more and more attached to them...and I'm an animal lover myself.....

I'm thinking about running an add in the paper...I don't want to keep someones pet but at the same time I'm ready to get serious about building them a home......

Anyway sorry for the ramble but I thought I may get some ideas from you folks.....

Ideas/comments welcome.....

Thanks......

Last edited:
Hi Mr. Dad,
How serendipititous for you and your family
smile.png

Congratulations on your new chicken friends. There's a chance they were abandoned or a predator chased them from their home --- but either way, I'm sure they are happy they found you
smile.png

Good luck with them!
Lisa

Thanks Lisa.....

I'm happy to have them here, and like I said the kids are really falling for them...but I explained that their owner may be looking for them and we'd get our own if they did end up 'back home'....

Part of me feels kind of funnny because if they were mine I'd be looking for them......

I guess the add in the paper and some more time and those feelings will fade....

Any thoughts on what I should do to take care of them?

A vitamin etc?

Think the black is frost bite?

Any diseases I should be concerned with?

I probably need a good book recommendation on them too...this happened before we were really prepared for it....LOL...

Thanks....

Dennis

Congrats,

I think you are doing exactly what should be done.

A balanced chicken feed for proper nutrition is a must, if you plan to keep them.

Yes, the black on the comb is prolly frostbite, however if not too serious and are giving good shelter without drafts, that will not get any worse and slowly heal.

If you think someone is looking for this lost flock and want to try to find the owners, make sure they can tell you,'how many, what color,roos or hens.don't list a ad for the number that you have, letting hungry people consume them.

Good Luck, bigzio

You are doing the right thing by giving the chickens a home. Key West!! Don't you just love it there? And the chickens and beautiful roosters!! Did you go to the "Chicken Store"? I wanted to bring some home, but didn't know how to go about it. Merry

What a great story! I hope it has a happy ending with the chickens and roo permanently staying! As Lisa said, it is serendipity that the chickens found you
Best of luck, and welcome to this forum!
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks bigzio...good idea on having them provide me a description....

I have to make the temporary coop bigger...three had to sleep under the bush last night (there are 6 total)...I thought there was enough room but apparently they didn't feel comfy, rank low in the flock, or the rooster put them out (???)....this will be a learning experience....I'm going to buy hay bails and we'll build them an igloo of sorts...and also check HomeDepot for open top bins incase they need to sleep in their own space......

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Merry...

Key West is the best
wink.png
.....I didn't know about the Chicken Store but next time we'll be sure to check it out......the last two times we drove down in an RV and satyed about 8 miles away, then went into town for the sunset fun and to walk around etc....our youngest was 12 days old (yep days) when we packed up and left for our last trip to Key West (last March).....we're talking about going back down the day after Christmas this year......

Last edited:
Quote:
Yea it's kinda of funny...my wife said 'well you wanted chickens' LOL....I just wish I read up more before they arrived but I'm working on getting up to speed.....today's project is a better coop and running that add in the paper just incase....thanks for the welcome as well
smile.png

I am so glad you founhd each other. Straw bails will provide lots of protection from the cold. I agree, make anyone answering the add describe the chickens. You have now gone to alot of trouble for these birds and it would be a shame to give them to someone that is not entitled to them. Enjoy your new chickens family and ask away with any questions. We are all here to help.

Jaynie, Bryant Alabama

Back
Top Bottom