HUGE SWOLLEN ABSCESS ON HEN'S BREAST

choidle

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 18, 2007
MY HEN HAS A HUGE SWOLLEN ABSCESS ON THE FRONT OF HER BREAST. IT LOOKS LIKE THERE IS A CUP OF LIQUID INSIDE, AND IT SWAYS AS SHE WALKS. I NOTICED ONE OTHER POST OF A HEN WITH AN ABSCESS ON THE BACK OF HER HEAD, AND ONE PERSON DIAGNOSED IT AS A COTTAGE CHEESY TYPE BACTERIAL INFECTION. THE OWNER LANCED AND DRAINED IT, AND IT WAS OK. I WOULD DO IT ON MY OWN IF I KNEW HOW. OTHERWISE, I HAVE AN APPT WITH MY VET. ANY IDEAS WHAT THIS MAY BE?

Well,
I am no vet, and have no experience lancing things on animals, but I am a nurse. If you are going to lance this thing, get a really sharp knife (exaco knife would work well or a razor blade) and heat it in the flame on the stove or use alcohol to clean it. Clean the skin well on the chicken with an antibacterial soap, rinse and dry with a towel. Clean the area area again with alcohol and allow to air dry. You will probably need someone to help you hold your bird while you do this. She will probably need to be wrapped in a towel to keep her calm. Make a small quarter inch incision in the bottom part of the abscess so that is can drain completely (ie, don't make the incision in the top). You may have to express the goop and then apply some triple antibiotic ointment. She could probably benefit from some antibiotics give by some other means. You could probably get some abx from your farm supply or vet. Let us know how things go.
smile.png

Choidle, before you start making your bird sushi, answer a few questions.
Does the swelling go down? If it does then it's most likely the bird's crop, where food is stored until it's digested.
If it doesn't go down, does her breath smell? It may be sour or impacted crop.
Keep us updated, please

Thanks birdbrain and spotted crow, for some good info and advice. The swelling does not go down, but she acts like nothing is bothering her. I will keep you posted as to my next plan of action. I will probably take her to the vets.

UPDATE:
Took her to the vet's. Dr. thinks she has Mareck's, which is fatal and probably infected my whole flock. We (Vet , asst and I ) intubated and drained it. Still, there is the grainy crop ball left. However, when I came home with her and looked up on the inernet, it does not sound at all like she has Mareck's, but just an impacted crop, as I suspected. Some say to slip mineral oil down her throat to help loosen it. Right now I am intubating her 3x a day with antibiotics. I hope it is just an impacted crop. She has lost some weight, poor girl. "Misty" as I call her, is a really cool hen and plays with my golden retriever. I am taking good care of her. We will see what happens.
Choidle
PS This vet was honest in saying she does not see many chickens.

Poor Misty! Sounds like you're taking really good care of her, though. Try the mineral or olive oil. It can't hurt, and it might really help. I'd say just a few drops, though, or she'll get the runs, and that's no fun for anyone. Keep us posted on how she's doing!

UPDATE ON MISTY

Well, we treated her with antibiotics and no results. She continued to plug along. The day I left for my daughter's graduation I took a peek at Misty. She looked a bit sick. She died while I was gone. Our friends who were taking care of the animals removed her from the cage. We buried her yesterday. Poor gal. We tried. I still do not think she had Mareck's. I will be getting two chicks this weekend and placing them with our brooding silky named Ludacris (I did not name her, but she does look that way!) I love my chickens. Misty was my first and the ALPHA hen. I will miss her.
Thanks for everyone's input. I love this site and the people we meet.

Ohhhh, I'm so sorry, choidle! You did the very best you could for Misty, so take some comfort in that. :aww

Also, it doesn't sound like Marek's to me either -though I haven't had any first-hand experience with it (thankfully), just going from what I've read.

Back
Top Bottom