HUGE SWOLLEN ABSCESS ON HEN'S BREAST

I just discovered a similar lump on my chick's neck today. It is off to one side and feels about the size of an egg. This chick is only 10 or 11 weeks or so and is always picked on by the other chickens. In fact, I tried to add her to a broody hen's chicks when she was a few days old and that was a mistake because the hen almost killed her. I nursed her back to health but she has permanent scars on her head now from where the hen almost put her eyes out. So, I have a very soft spot for her since it was my fault that she got injured. I got another chick to keep her company and raised them separately from the other chicks but now they are all in in the pen with the adults and the 4 other, slightly older chicks. Even the other chicks bully them. These 2 sleep in a dog crate at night as they are not very welcome in the coop.

I don't think this lump is her craw, I really don't think these 2 chicks get as much to eat as the others because everybody else keeps them away from the food. The size of this lump would indicate quite a lot of food., which is not so likely. I am thinking abscess, too. I guess I will try to drain it tonight with some help from my friend if it is still big later (hasn't gone down, proving that it is not her craw filled with food).

I love my chickens but now that my landlord won't let them be free range anymore because of 'the dust', (he says the neighbors are complaining, which I doubt) their pen naturally gets a lot messier as they are confined in their pen during the day. Although it is pretty spacious, about 12x20 feet and my landlord DID set it all up for me so I can't complain too much. But the girls are, since they used to have the run of a 3/4 acre lot during the day.

I have a welsummer, 3 americaunas, 2 barred rocks, 1 buff orpington, 1 black star, 1 silver laced wyandotte and a cream legbar (she has never laid an egg that I know of. and I have had her for a year). The chicks are a mixture. One is part FBCM as it has a lot of feathers on its legs and I had gotten the fertile eggs for my broody wyandotte from a guy who has those roosters - the mother was an olive egger, but it pretty much white with a few black spots. One is another barred rock, one looks like a leghorn as it is completely white. The injured/lumpy chick is a welsummer and 2 other chicks look like they are americaunas ( puffy cheeks and dark legs). So, too many chickens anyway and I will have to get rid of any that reveal themselves to be roosters. The welsummer chick is the only one that was supposed to have been sexed when I got her, but I don't know what the others are.

So 10 hens and 6 chicks, well past the legal number of chickens I am allowed to have in this city. I would not have gotten more chicks except that that one hen went broody and I could not get her to stop so decided to let her hatch some eggs.

I just discovered a similar lump on my chick's neck today. It is off to one side and feels about the size of an egg. This chick is only 10 or 11 weeks or so and is always picked on by the other chickens. In fact, I tried to add her to a broody hen's chicks when she was a few days old and that was a mistake because the hen almost killed her. I nursed her back to health but she has permanent scars on her head now from where the hen almost put her eyes out. So, I have a very soft spot for her since it was my fault that she got injured. I got another chick to keep her company and raised them separately from the other chicks but now they are all in in the pen with the adults and the 4 other, slightly older chicks. Even the other chicks bully them. These 2 sleep in a dog crate at night as they are not very welcome in the coop.

I don't think this lump is her craw, I really don't think these 2 chicks get as much to eat as the others because everybody else keeps them away from the food. The size of this lump would indicate quite a lot of food., which is not so likely. I am thinking abscess, too. I guess I will try to drain it tonight with some help from my friend if it is still big later (hasn't gone down, proving that it is not her craw filled with food).

I love my chickens but now that my landlord won't let them be free range anymore because of 'the dust', (he says the neighbors are complaining, which I doubt) their pen naturally gets a lot messier as they are confined in their pen during the day. Although it is pretty spacious, about 12x20 feet and my landlord DID set it all up for me so I can't complain too much. But the girls are, since they used to have the run of a 3/4 acre lot during the day.

I have a welsummer, 3 americaunas, 2 barred rocks, 1 buff orpington, 1 black star, 1 silver laced wyandotte and a cream legbar (she has never laid an egg that I know of. and I have had her for a year). The chicks are a mixture. One is part FBCM as it has a lot of feathers on its legs and I had gotten the fertile eggs for my broody wyandotte from a guy who has those roosters - the mother was an olive egger, but it pretty much white with a few black spots. One is another barred rock, one looks like a leghorn as it is completely white. The injured/lumpy chick is a welsummer and 2 other chicks look like they are americaunas ( puffy cheeks and dark legs). So, too many chickens anyway and I will have to get rid of any that reveal themselves to be roosters. The welsummer chick is the only one that was supposed to have been sexed when I got her, but I don't know what the others are.

So 10 hens and 6 chicks, well past the legal number of chickens I am allowed to have in this city. I would not have gotten more chicks except that that one hen went broody and I could not get her to stop so decided to let her hatch some eggs.
Hi, I have a Peking Bantam hen 8 years old, I've just found a huge abscess on her breast about half way down. Looks like a huge egg. I thought she had been broodie last 2 weeks. Reading other posts here has been helpful. I'll make appointment with Avian vet I use tomorrow. Like other posts I love my girls as well, Dusty and her 3 sisters I've had since 8 weeks old. Any other advice would be appreciated. It's definitely not her crop.

Ohhhh, I'm so sorry, choidle! You did the very best you could for Misty, so take some comfort in that. :aww

Also, it doesn't sound like Marek's to me either -though I haven't had any first-hand experience with it (thankfully), just going from what I've read.
No it’s definitely not Marecks as that causes paralysis and balance and eye issues….its a horrible disease that went through my small flock years ago.

Back
Top Bottom