Organic chicken feed sources

TAMFAM

Chirping
Oct 24, 2023
Sources or brands for economic organic chicken? I am new at this and getting my first flock of six baby chicks in a couple of weeks. I’m in Northwest Missouri and looks like Kalmbach it’s not available locally so might have to order something online. Thanks!

Here's some brands online that have organic chicken feed:

Nature's Best Organic Feeds (what I use)
DuMor Organic Layer pellets (also what I use)
Cluck & Co Organic Layer blend chicken feed
Purina Organic Layer Pellet

Those brands also have chick starter crumble that are organic. Do you have a Tractor Supply?

"Economic" and "Organic" are two words not normally found in close proximity.

As suggested above, your best bet will be checking your local stores to see what they stock - even if you can find something cheaper on line, the shipping will kill you unless you are buying in huge quantity.

You should also consider your local mills. You have Nemo locally, which produces a number of non-GMO poultry products (though not organic) at decent crude protein numbers - I can't recommend, they don't publish their guaranteed nutritional labels - but they are worth looking at at least. Majestic is a local non-GMO and Organic mill - their organic starter is 0.35 Met. That's not great, but its better than many on the market. I can't recommend their "grower" or "layer" lines, both are 0.25% Met - too low. But you could stay on Starter all their lives and provide oyster shell in seperate dish for your layers.

Finally, because someone needs to say it, "Organic" chicken feed is not necessarily better, for all that it is routinely more expensive. Some is quite good, but for reasons I have explained elsewhere, it is very difficult to find organic sources of methionine to provide adequate amounts for your flock - particularly those just hatched, and those tending toward meat bird purposes.

Last edited:
Why do we always try to talk people out of organic?
I don't. I try to talk them into not assuming that Organic is necessarily better simply because it says "Organic". Sadly, its not. A lot of companies out there counting on the ignorance of their consumer to produce an overpriced substandard product with a buzz-worthy label.

Educated consumers are better for everyone.

Chewy has reasonably priced feed with pretty reasonable shipping. I've started ordering from there 'cause variety and convenience

Back
Top Bottom