How old was your hen when she laid her 1st egg?

Eggs4Sale

Songster
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
I'd like to create a sticky for this, because everyone always wants to know when to expect their first egg from their hen.

Answer these, please:

Breed of hen-

Age in weeks when she laid-

If you have more than one of that breed, did they all start laying around the same time?-

Color of egg-

Size of egg-
(measuring diameter both ways with a sewing measuring tape would be great, or putting it next to a ruler for length, but identify the method used, please!)

Thanks!

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Gold Sex Link - 19 weeks - brown. Here's her size next to XLarge store bought egg.
IMG_1153.jpg

Buff Orpington - 20 weeks - light brown (taupe kind of color). Don't have size comparison.

ETA: Whoops I wasn't done yet.

Barred Rock - 21.5 weeks - light brown (similar in color to the BO) This is the only pic I have of one of her double yolkers for comparison.
IMG_1282.jpg

Light Brahma - 20 weeks - light brown. She lays a smaller egg than the others above.

Sicilian Buttercup - 24 weeks - white (started off Ivory color, now white) Don't have size comparison, but she's my smallest egg layer. (of course she's the last one to lay)

RIR - 23 weeks - light brown. No size comparison.

Easter Egger - I think she was 22 weeks - green. Brown egg is a double yolker from the BO.
IMG_1274.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Black Stars, aka Black Sex-Links : the first one started laying at 17 weeks, the rest were all laying by 20 weeks.

Egg is light brown, shown below.

White Rock: started laying at 19 to 20 weeks. Her egg will hopefully get bigger than this. (????)

L to R: White Rock, Black Star, Black Star
35639_augpt5_018.jpg

The big one is the same size as extra-large eggs from the grocery store.

White-Faced Black Spanish

First laid at 19 weeks. First egg was HUGE!

Egg is white. Same size as an extra-large or jumbo egg from the grocery store.

Brown egg is from a Black Star. White egg is White Faced Black Spanish.
35639_augpt2_021.jpg

Out of the herd we ordered from Murray McMurray, the Spanish hen started laying first. White Rock was second. The rest haven't layed yet, including RIR.

(taking a shortcut)
First hen to lay was 19 weeks. Last to lay was 9 1/2 months (38 weeks).
All my hens are LF brahma. All lay between med. and extra large eggs (depending on where they are in their cycle).
The egg colors run from cream color to pink to med. brown.
They are individuals.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom