Hen Fell in the POOL and is injured

My concern is chlorine poisoning. If her eyes look any different than usual, you should think about rinsing them with water, either with a wet cloth or maybe an eyedropper. Also make sure you flush any chlorine out of her system by having her drink as much as possible. Hope she continues to get better!

OK She has made it through about 32 hours now but I do not think she has eaten or drank anything. Her front area where food usually is very extended. I am not sure if I should give her 8 more hours before trying to force some food or liquids in her. I am not sure how to give her water, she is thrashing her head around refusing it.

If anything, try to get her to drink before you get her to eat. It's not a sure thing that she has chlorine poisoning, since it really depends on how much water she took in, but it is better to be cautious. Basically chlorine will kill off essential bacteria in your chicken, making it difficult for her to digest and process foods. If you manage to get her to drink this will flush out the chlorine, and the bacteria will come back at which point you can work on getting her to eat. Whenever I have to get my chickens to take something I use an eyedropper, just make sure she doesn't start to choke.

Hi,
Lucy did make it, we nursed her, gave her antibiotics had to cut part of her comb off but she made it. She was my favorite hen, i LOVED her!!! Unfortunately we lost her to a Coyote 2 weeks ago : (. It is hard to have chickens, I really love them. I started with 8 and am down to 3.
Thanks for checking in. Saving her life was so rewarding and bonding and our whole family pulled for this chicken. : )
Deanna

Back
Top Bottom