Hen Fell in the POOL and is injured

dmontrose

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 20, 2013
My 14 month old Rhode Island Red Hen fell in the swimming pool We found her at 11:30 today. I am not sure how long she was in the pool. Her neck and face are badly skinned up from trying to get out. We have seperated her from the other birds. She seems cold so I am going to put a warming light on her. She will not open her eyes and her neck is quite skinned up. She looks wilted. I am not sure what I can do to help her. Suggestions?

Last edited:
Just keep her warm and dry and let her rest. Make sure her feathers dry out. Check to see if she is eating and drinking, and keep her separated until she gets her strength up. Be prepared that she might not make it. That was likely pretty strenuous for her, and she might have swallowed too much water and gotten some in her lungs.

Thank you for your help. Do you think I should put neosporin or an antibacterial sauve on her neck injury?

I would put some neosporin or bag balm on her injured skin. Keep her stress level to a minimum and make sure she is warm and dry. Like was said before, beware she could have swallowed water which could cause her to not make it. Best of luck and wishes!

One last question. She is perking up even though she appears terribly messed up. One eye is open and one eye is closed. Is it too soon to determine if I need an antibacterial ointment for it? Do sometimes Chickens eyes open later. I know now I am almost asking for everyone to look in their crystal ball. Thanks.

If they do not feel good it is normal for them to carry only one eye open. I would leave her be for the night and if she acts better in the morning I would try to check her eye then after she has had some quiet time alone. I would not add to the trauma of her day by trying to force medicine in her eye.

OK, I will take that advice and once again thank you so much! I am a new chicken owner. I bought two hens 4 months ago and LOVE them. I am very green to the whole chicken thing and just want her to try and survive. I have brought her in my house. She is closed off in a bedroom. I have a blanket over half of her cage to try and dim the lights and I have a warmer on her to keep her toasty. She seems like she is perking up.

I am very glad to hear she is perking up. Keeping my fingers crossed she didn't swallow any excess water and is doing a lot better in the morning. I would say by morning she should perk up quite a bit more once she gets her body temperature back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom