Hen died sitting on eggs..Why??

chickenbaby

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 10, 2008
Tooele, Utah
Went out to the coop this morning and a hen was dead sitting on eggs. She didnt seem broody the day before. All the hens seem to be molting their bums are featherless. Egg production has slowed a ton figured the molting. I am puzzled she looked healthy the day before and the rest of the flock looks healthy. Anyone have any ideas what could be going on? Illness, injury, fluke incident argh!!

I've heard of snakes suffocating a broody hen. I don't think it would have bothered the other mobile chickens.

Have you checked your chickens for mites? They can kill chickens. There are two main types of mites. The Northern Fowl Mite lives on the chicken for its entire life cycle. Check around the vent as they congregate there due to the moisture.

The red mite lives in the coop, usually on the roost, during the day and goes on the chicken at night for a blood meal. Yoy'll need to check the chickens at night for this mite.

According to a professor at the University of Arkansas School of Agriculture, if a broody hen is found dead on her nest, the red mite is a very possible suspect.

Quote:
That is what I was wondering. If there were mites or some illness wouldnt you see some signs. I am kinda freaked out about this. I am wondering if there is an illness of some kind. Should we avoid eating any of the hens eggs until we know more? Argh!!

Back
Top Bottom