Hen is not laying and has weird poop

kpenn26

Hatching
May 7, 2024
I have an adopted hen who should be 2-3 years old. I'm not exactly sure what breed she is but will post a photo. I have a small mixed flock of 7 hens, and this one is the leader of the pack. She joined our flock last year and during the summer she laid every single day--beautiful large speckled eggs. She stopped laying in the fall and has not laid since then. And I have not seen her molt. She has had runny, greenish poop for months. Today I noticed her poop was almost straight water with undigested pellets. Other than that, her behavior and appetite are totally normal and she is still at the top of the pecking order. Her comb is bright red and healthy. She occasionally wants to sit on the other girls' eggs in the nesting box, but is not so broody that she is spending all of her time there. She has been dewormed. Before I take a fecal sample to the vet, I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this and has answers. I have begun treatment with Corid today in case it is coccidiosis.
Tonks.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of her poop?

What did you deworm with - name of product, dose and duration.

Where are you located in the world?

To me she looks like a production hen, but hard to know.

Undigested pellets - is her crop emptying overnight? Does she have a source of grit (Crushed Granite) available?

The Corid won't hurt her even if it's not Coccidiosis. Be sure you have the correct dosing.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Perhaps she has something reproductive going on. But if she's moving about, active, it's not something very obvious at this point.
Some hens do molt but partially or slowly over a period of time. She may not have molted, some don't for one reason or another.

I'd watch to see that she is eating/drinking well.

Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of her poop?

What did you deworm with - name of product, dose and duration.

Where are you located in the world?

To me she looks like a production hen, but hard to know.

Undigested pellets - is her crop emptying overnight? Does she have a source of grit (Crushed Granite) available?

The Corid won't hurt her even if it's not Coccidiosis. Be sure you have the correct dosing.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Perhaps she has something reproductive going on. But if she's moving about, active, it's not something very obvious at this point.
Some hens do molt but partially or slowly over a period of time. She may not have molted, some don't for one reason or another.

I'd watch to see that she is eating/drinking well.
Thank you for your reply! To answer your questions: I will post a photo of her poop from yesterday--mucousy water and undigested pellets. I saw her poop this morning and it had much more substance to it--greenish and more solid. I began Corid treatment yesterday and I did use liquid corid at 2 tsp per gallon of water. I will mix up a fresh batch for the next 6 days.
She was wormed about a month ago with a 5 day course of Panacur, dosed to her body weight. We are located in East Texas. It has been a very wet spring and very high humidity, and high temps of about 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit. Her crop is nice and empty in the morning and she does have access to crushed granite at all times. My girls are free range and they have a hanging container of crushed granite.
She is eating and drinking very well. Still comes running at full speed when she sees me come outside. Her temperament doesn't seem affected at all.
Thanks again for responding! Hopefully the Corid will do the trick!.
poop.jpg

Thank you for your reply! To answer your questions: I will post a photo of her poop from yesterday--mucousy water and undigested pellets. I saw her poop this morning and it had much more substance to it--greenish and more solid. I began Corid treatment yesterday and I did use liquid corid at 2 tsp per gallon of water. I will mix up a fresh batch for the next 6 days.
She was wormed about a month ago with a 5 day course of Panacur, dosed to her body weight. We are located in East Texas. It has been a very wet spring and very high humidity, and high temps of about 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit. Her crop is nice and empty in the morning and she does have access to crushed granite at all times. My girls are free range and they have a hanging container of crushed granite.
She is eating and drinking very well. Still comes running at full speed when she sees me come outside. Her temperament doesn't seem affected at all.
Thanks again for responding! Hopefully the Corid will do the trick!.View attachment 3825376
The warms temps can cause some loose/runny poop, but I agree with you, it looks mucousy. The Corid is a good idea and won't hurt her.
If possible, get a fecal float to be sure that there's still not a worm problem, likely not with your giving Fenbendazole for 5 days, but it's something you can rule out.

The warms temps can cause some loose/runny poop, but I agree with you, it looks mucousy. The Corid is a good idea and won't hurt her.
If possible, get a fecal float to be sure that there's still not a worm problem, likely not with your giving Fenbendazole for 5 days, but it's something you can rule out.
Thank you so much for your helpful replies. We are on day 6 of Corid and her poop remains very runny, maybe somewhat more digested but still looks like diarrhea. Her energy level and temperament remain the same. She is eating and drinking normally. If it were coccidiosis, should it be resolved by now? I will get a fecal float this week and share the results.

Yes, I would say it should have resolved by now if the cause was Coccidiosis.

Please do share the results of the test.
I took a fecal sample from this morning to our vet and the results from the smear and float came back all clear! Her poop was much more substantial this morning. Still a bit watery but food was digested at least. So maybe it was coccidiosis and the Corid did the trick (or is in the process of doing the trick)? I will continue to watch her and if she declines I will take her in for a physical exam and see what the vet thinks.

Back
Top Bottom