Oops I meant I have a family friend that is a vet but not avian…. However he could write a script if that’s needed.. yes I have access to pharmacy and I’m curious why they gave me the blu kote. Doesn’t matter, I have Neosporin and get more….

She is getting a combo of laying feed and scratch… I can share photos of the bags
If you can get amoxicillin from your vet friend ,250 mg pill once a day for 7 to 10 days.

I order aqua mox on TSC site. Make sure she's eating well (full crop at night), it's a good sign that she laid an egg.

Do I need a vet for
If you can get amoxicillin from your vet friend ,250 mg pill once a day for 7 to 10 days.

I order aqua mox on TSC site. Make sure she's eating well (full crop at night), it's a good sign that she laid an egg.
She laid one today too… and I even caught her standing on her bad leg for a short period! My imagination needs help here…. How do you do pills for birds and know they are eating it lol. Definitely will tell him, because he isn’t familiar with birds but was going to research when he could. So thanks for that. I can’t even tell what she is eating because she keeps knocking it over or scratching it out. Im going to try a different food container this evening 🤞🏻 Honestly her favorite thing to eat is clover lol

Mine love clover too! Feel her crop, it's on the left side of her chest, when it's full it feels like a ball. To give her a pill, I face my chicken out away from me on my left thigh, wrap my left arm around to her beak, pry it open gently and then pop the pill in with the right hand. I'm right handed. You also either want her wrapped in a towel if she fights you, of she's good, let her wings free. Does this make sense.

I caught one raccoon!! I’m sure there are more…. But at least I’m ready.

Update on Bessie she is doing really good in chicken ICU. She is even picking clover from the stems now which is great! At first I was picking them off for her. She is laying her eggs, and now it just waiting game till her leg heals…. I even think the heat I was feeling has lessened as well. This is a huge relief.

Yesterday morning I woke up to find my other barnevelder not there waiting for me as usual and talking to me…. This hen, named Eloise, refused to go in the coop or run at night after the first bird attack. Every evening around that time she would always disappear and I could never find her. One evening she clicked at my mother and we found her at the top of an oak branch on the little branches over the gate entrance to the chicken yard used for free ranging…. She had a good view of being able to see what would come in and out of the entire yard…. (There is a light at the gate).

Idk what time of the morning it happened…. When I went out to let the hens out I noticed her talking self not out and about either in the yard or by my bedroom window, but it wasn’t too unusual since sometimes she would would be just frolicking but you could hear her and normally I would always round her up. There was no signs of anything happening, no blood no nothing…. It was a very strange occurance. Later I did notice some of her soft light blue feathers and I just had a feeling she was gone. The barnevelders are one of my favorite birds, I only had two, and they are full of personality. So I was really sad and felt guilty for not setting the trap as planned because I waited too late and was exhausted…..

So I now my flock is lacking in personality I noticed today…. Bessie will return eventually but they are all going thru some major anxiety. I think I had one egg found in the coop this morning. So basically no eggs when I usually get 5-7

I have a second trap set out there but since it was later today I decided to reset the the trap I caught the raccoon in, you never know maybe I’ll still catch something in it after all or the other one.

Thanks for all the advice and support it helped a lot!

Next is building an appropriate coop for the guineas 🤦🏼‍♀️ Which I’ll need to research on. And building a new coop and enlarging the run for the hens.

I'm so sorry about Eloise 😢 dang racoons!!!

Good news about Bessie!
Thank you! Your support has been so encouraging and greatly appreciated. Eloise is a sad loss, she was full of personality and smart… seeing Bessie doing so well makes me very happy though, as does my mission to cut down on predators. ;)

Back
Top Bottom