HELP! Very Injured Duck . . . opinions needed.

cityducks

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2017
I have a duck who was attacked by a dog.

The vet bill is expected to be $500 or so. I've heard ducks can come through amazing things, but I can't afford what the vet is requesting. Is there anything I can do with a wound this bad? The tailbone is sticking out but does not seem to be broken, I see what I believe to be an internal organ. He does not seem to be in pain. I've considered sewing him up myself, but am concerned about closing a wound that large and it not healing correctly. He's gotten out of two very well placed bandages. Duck is eating, not lethargic, playing in the water immediately after attack! My husband believes the most humane thing would be to put him gently to sleep, but again, I keep hearing that ducks can heal from some pretty horrible wounds. Any opinions? He's contained, clean, and warm tonight, but I have to make a decision by tomorrow morning. I can't see how he's not suffering?

There are quite a few threads about treating injured ducks, and over and over again, people say ducks survive some crazy stuff.

Keep the duck inside, keep the wound clean, and scour those threads for advice. Here is one, read #5 (baseball size chunks taken out of duck).
I wouldn't put down an animal that eats/drinks/plays. Best of luck, and please keep updated!

Thank you for the encouragement!

My main concern really is the exposed bone. :( Not sure what to do about it.

I did read those threads, but none of the injuries seemed to be this bad?

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about your duck. We had a chicken that was attacked by a dog last fall. Took her to the vet and he stitched her together, gave her some antibiotics and instructions. Within a few weeks she was feeling better but it was iffy because she was not eating or drinking for a few days. The bill was no were near $500! My concern is that she is in pain and if you are seeing an internal organ, that can't be good. I can tell you love your duck by the picture in the bathtub. If it were me it would also be a hard decision on what to do. Did the vet say she could heal without any long term problems? Because animals can't tell us when they are in pain or suffering and you don't want them to live life in pain or suffer long term complications. Please let me know how she is doing tomorrow.

Honey can protect the bone
Did the vet see the wound? And could what you think is an organ be fleshy tissue/muscle and not an organ?
I'm seeing what I can find online that may help, but like @cjrivera20 said, there's a lot to consider. I just always want everyone to be okay, and have hope until the eating/drinking/playing stops.
There are SO MANY people on BYC that know so much and can give you better advice.
I would call some more vets in the morning, to see if there's someone who can help your duck for less.

Can anyone give good advice on this?
I read the info in the link you shared and if nothing else I'd dif try this with the honey.

@cityducks keep your duck on clean towels so nothing sticks to the honey. And make sure to keep your duck warm but not with a heat lamp over the wound. if your in a warm climate make sure no flies can get to the wound. Not sure if I'd wrap a wound that large though.

I'd also call around and see if there is any rescues in your area who may give assistance in treating your duck.

Yes ducks and poultry in general can make amazing come backs from attacks and wounds. main thing is support, rest and watching for infections. which may mean oral antibiotics and they can only be gotten from a vet now. Maybe check into fish meds at pet shop.

Lets see if @casportpony can add any advise.

How is your duck this morning?

My main concern really is the exposed bone.  :(  Not sure what to do about it.

What antibiotics do you have? What did you clean it with?

My main concern really is the exposed bone.  :(  Not sure what to do about it.

My main concern is how you're going to keep it from getting infected. If you can keep it clean and keep it from getting infected it might be okay.

Back
Top Bottom